Quantcast
What is your favorite sous vide dish? - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What is your favorite sous vide dish?

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter01 View Post
    Deep-Fried, Sous-Vide, 36-Hour, All-Belly Porchetta.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/12/t...porchetta.html

AWESOME!
    Oh my...
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter01 View Post
    Deep-Fried, Sous-Vide, 36-Hour, All-Belly Porchetta.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/12/t...porchetta.html

AWESOME!

Well, here we are. 46h at 136F. Taste was great, but it was just a touch dryer than I expected - and it seems to have lost quite a bit of juice also. The boneless pieces are thinner and smaller than the bone-in ones, so next time I would go at 133F and maybe check at 24 and 36h. Gotta start somewhere. Ate a healthy manly portion with caramelized onions and cheese ravioli (I had run out of potatoes, I may lose my German citizenship over this...).

Question about storage: Do I take them out of the bag and repack or do I leave them in the juice that has come out during cooking?

Stefan

P.S. I refuse all responsibility for my housemate's fugly plates...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	16093Click image for larger version

Views:	11
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	16094Click image for larger version

Views:	12
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	16095

Stephan, I've found that its critical to completely chill long-cooked meats. Also, I use 129 degrees for beef products. 140 for pork and chicken. 72hrs for short-ribs. Tender meats (filet, rib eye, strip) try 129 for 12hrs. Depends on how thick the ingredient is. Doubling the thickness quadruples the cooking time. Ex. 1” thick steak SV for 12hrs and a 2” thick steak SV 48hrs.

The think I like most about SV is that you can break up the cooking process. So I usually SV one day, then chill the product. Then when I want to cook them I take it out cold. I’ll take the product out of the bag, paper towel off any juices, heavy seasoning and hit them 4 minutes a side in a ripping cast iron pan, then put it in the oven at 350 until internal temp is 122ish. Remove and let rest for at least ten minutes covered. I like my finished temp to be 129. Also, don’t season beef unless you’re looking for a more cured texture to the mean. Season before searing.

He're a chuck roast I did

Thanks, that's very helpful. I had salted and peppered the short ribs before I packed them, that may have led to them bleeding out more and being drier - definitely drier than the roast in your picture looks, maybe that is what you describe as 'cured texture'. The pieces in my picture were directly out of the bag, dried and quick-seared; the other pieces/bags were cooled down in an ice bath. I will try those over the next days - should have packed smaller portions... So much to learn, but a lot of fun to play with this

Stefan

+ Reply to Thread