Sous Vide What is your favorite sous vide dish?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahimlee54

Founding Member
Reaction score
I just got the sous vide machine and I am giong to give it the first run this weekend.

There are alot of options so I thought I would ask people what their favorite dish sous vide is so I can be blown away.

Thanks
Jared

Hard to say. Seventy two hour short ribs are amazing...tender, succulent pork chops that remind me of the old days before pork had all the fat engineered out of it...and for one out of left field: my wife is still raving about sous vide brussel sprouts.

Enjoy the journey. :)

Flank steak. Then sear it on the grill before service.

I laugh when I see someone go over to the sous vid machine on Chopped.

After some reflection, I've decided my favorite thing about sous vide is that I finally get to buy a torch. :flame:

I laugh when I see someone go over to the sous vid machine on Chopped.

I laughed one episode I saw recently (a re-run) when the judges were like "Oh, he's using the sous-vide machine!" when actually all he was doing was using the vac.

To be fair I think sous vide translates to "under vacuum" so technically they aren't incorrect. On topic, pretty much most protein or vegetables can be cooked sous vide successfully. I also like to make ice cream under vacuum.

yes, egg shooters, gotta do some tomorrow, I always toss a couple extra in.

i was about to say eggs as well but then i guess a lot of people have been mentioning it already. lol.

Favorite of mine is sv. Spinalis Dorsi. Best tasting part of the cow. Give it 24hrs and than sear it in some plugra. Or 48hr duck leg confit. 72hr short rib it's one of our biggest sellers, as well as the 48hr pork belly. Holy crap I'm on holiday hours overload, mind can't decide... Flank is also good. Leave it whole and give it 24hrs then just "kiss" it in a hot pan with plugra on both sides to caramelize. However,I do not recommend grilling it, you'll definitely lose some of that tenderness you just worked so hard to achieve via the sous vide. Oh, and custards are a lot fun sous vide, especially if you have an ice cream machine.

King crab.

In a bag with lemon thyme, lemon zest, good olive oil, whole peppercorns, garlic clove or two and dill.
All chilled, vacumized and then 5 minutes in 58.7 C.
Chilled again, and used next day. Sear in butter until golden brown. Glaze with lemon.

Favorite of mine is sv. Spinalis Dorsi. Best tasting part of the cow. Give it 24hrs and than sear it in some plugra. Or 48hr duck leg confit. 72hr short rib it's one of our biggest sellers, as well as the 48hr pork belly. Holy crap I'm on holiday hours overload, mind can't decide... Flank is also good. Leave it whole and give it 24hrs then just "kiss" it in a hot pan with plugra on both sides to caramelize. However,I do not recommend grilling it, you'll definitely lose some of that tenderness you just worked so hard to achieve via the sous vide. Oh, and custards are a lot fun sous vide, especially if you have an ice cream machine.

I love Rib Eye Cap too! I agree its the best part of The Cow.

My favourite is rabbit belly and leeks. Just salt and pepper wth the belly. Then cryo the leeks with salt, peppper, thyme and a shot of olive oil. Really good stuff.

Forgot octopus... Some shallots, carrots, celery, extra virgin, orange zest, salt pepper and maybe coriander. After you chill and clean them, just grill them to heat up, toss with lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil salt and pepper. Perfectly tender and delicious.

Beef cheek. A light confit salt and then 75c for 16 hrs is gold.

I like using sous-vide for things in which it makes a really big difference. I wouldn't normally eat chicken breast, but 65c for an hour or so in some lemon infused olive oil for a really nice free range breast is just awesome.

So what did you make? Inquiring minds want to know.

I made rabbit leg confit as part of an x-mas menu - turned out great. But generally any protein. My most frequent go to's are flank steak, scallops and oil poached salmon.

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone.

I ended up just making alot of stuff I had on hand, I wanted to get a handle on the tech. I had a rib left from a standing rib roast, turned out ok but I didn't char it enough with the torch, a custard which tasted really pure , and rich, salmon which was nice, and from egullet an egg cooked at 75C for 15 mins that was pretty good as well. I am going to grab some flank steak for this weekend and hopefully I can run across some crab legs.

I would love to see comments about which sous vide machine and which vacuum sealer to purhase.

The cheaper the better. If works properly.
Poly science[or circulator kind of machines] tends to work little louder than lets ay SV Supreme, cause it pumps water all the time during operation.
Biggest flaw of that system is the fact that heating element is not on the bottom, is on the side, so naturally you need help to circulate the heated water - otherwise you would have cold spots in the bucket. Thats why you need pump, which can make some noise.
I ended up with SV Magic over the Supreme. Its more versatile and I can choose the size for my bucket.

^ Good summary. That is why I have the polyscience, size was the main factor.

I have a whole wild goose in the freezer. I want to break it down into primal parts and sous vide it then crisp it in a skillet when done. I have a good PID and just need a16 - 20 quart slow cooker/electric roaster. There are other cuts and fish and mollusks I'd like to try like octopus.

We do a lot of sous vide at the restaurant. between the 2 brands we use i recommend the old trusty polyscience.
we also have 2 different brands of vacuum sealers both really well made but i like the KOCH vacuum sealers for their quiet operation and certain features.

for obvious reasons i will not refer as to what brands are involved but these are conclusions on a side by side comparisons during heavy intervals in a busy high end kitchen during the past 1 year.
i would like to say though that if you want o buy a used machine to be very sure where it came from and how it was taken care for.A circulator used in a bio lab is a bio hazard simply because you do not know what types of applications it was used for some of them can erode heating element and bond with the materials during long extended sessions. It is best to avoid them for safety reasons but i could say that a great number from the restaurants that pioneered sous vide possibly started with used units or used pre owned units of unknown origins .
The other very important thing to remember is that since these units can be used with regular tap water and require regular maintenance ,de scaling and sanitation of the circulators in equal regular intervals. we do ours every 12 to 15 days or so depending of circumstances.in an absolute perfect world these units are supposed to be used with distilled water

Another thing to point out is to always make sure you are keeping vacuum sealers cleaned and sanitized and also to change oil in the pump every 500 hours of operation or so and maintain the sealers any attached wiring to those and any parts attached to the vacuum chamber as these usually tend to fail more often because of abuse .i have seen a vacuum sealer that has greatly been neglected in a previous restaurant that was not that old and the pump went on it because of that oil change neglect. It also can affect the capacity of the actual pump reaching maximum vacuum --30 mbars- meaning that the max vacuum capacity is not achieved altogether or it actually takes longer for it to be achieved .

can some pros comment on vacuum sealer PLEASE

Back