Beef Jerky

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As many here, I am sure, are fans of jerky, I just wanted to see how many do it themselves. I cannot stand the typical store bought flavorless stuff that you pay a lot for, so I make my own and it is incredibly easy. The commissary I go to has thin sliced round steak (for asian food customers) that makes it super easy and cuts a step out of the process. I recently upgraded to a better dehydrator (although my Nesco American Harvest did a great job) to an STX Dehydra 800W-XLS. Combined with my chamber vacuum sealer I am getting some pretty pro results.

BeefJerky006-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Two pounds ready to sell to some of my buddies/coworkers. I can sell for $14 lb, of course I am not making much if any profit.

BeefJerky007-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Some of the racks are in the dishwasher.

BeefJerky008.jpg
[/IMG]

BeefJerky009.jpg
[/IMG]

My recipe is really simple:

Lean beef, I use round steak/roast ratio is 2lbs per 1lb finished product. This may be different depending on how dry to make your beef jerky.
1 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp granulated garlic
1 tbsp red pepper flakes

Let marinate for at about 24 hours and rotate/flip over a couple of times in the refer during that time. Follow the recommended directions of your dehydrator (145F-155F usually) for 3-9 hours, really depends on your location. I live in a very dry climate so my jerky gets done pretty quick. I find it's best to let it sit for 5-7 days after before eating.

BTW, keep everything very sanitary and use gloves when handling the raw meat and final product, especially if I am selling/giving it to friends.

PS I am going to smoke some soon using the "tube". Can't wait to get some hickory flavor in it.

Back