• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

f/s 210-215mm vintage Deba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sachem allison

Reaction score
Hello, guys

A couple of months ago I posted a vintage deba that I received asking for some ID help. We weren't able to find out who made the knife and the only Kanji on it said "Sanyo" which is a knife making region in Japan also spelled "Sanjo". I brought it to Korin hoping to get some assistance from them. Ms. Kawano was there and said the piece is very old and very well made but, she couldn't tell me who made it. She said the Kanji was hand chiseled and very well done. I left the knife with them for Mr. Sugai to sharpen and he says pretty much the same thing. He thinks it was made by a small maker maybe 50 years ago and it is very well made. He says it takes a very excellent edge and that he sharpened it good enough to chop heads off in one whack. I asked what type of steel, he says really no way of knowing but, perhaps virgin Swedish carbon steel and quite possibly Honyaki as there doesn't appear to be a core steel or any lamination lines at all. There is a slight over-grind at the heel and some little micro chips at the same spot but, nothing that won't come out in one sharpening. The blade is around 210-215mm. It has what I believe to be a burnt Hinoki wood handle as the texture and feel doesn't feel or look the same as Ho wood. It has and internal metal supporting collar. I have seen this in a few vintage sushi knives and it was fairly common 50 years ago. The Ura appears to have been hand scraped with a sen as there are scrape marks not associated with sharpening on the hollow side. If you put a little elbow grease into it you could make it look new again. If you want to see how they made knives 50 years or more ago then keep it the same. This is not the same type of knife you will get today. This is an old school knife made by a knife maker with no power hammers and modern electric tools, using a charcoal forge and handmade hammers. $300.00 shipping conus included. international pm me we'll work something out

deba14.jpg

deba13.jpg

deba12.jpg

deba11.jpg

deba10.jpg

deba9.jpg

deba8.jpg

deba7.jpg

deba6.jpg

deba5.jpg

deba4.jpg

deba2.jpg

deba1.jpg

deba3.jpg

THe blade is not pitted. There are a few tiny spots here and there but, what you see in the picture is texture from the kurouchi finish that has worn off over the course of fifty years.

Wow! What a beaut! Wish I could afford it right now..
Where in NYC are you at?

i'm not selling anything to Knerd he has other priorities right now.:razz:

Ahhh.. Can't stop looking at the pictures! Any discount if I come to pick up the knife and pay cash!?? Only half kidding of course...

haha! that is the discount! I guarantee you will never find another like it.

I am also very willing to take trades for the cash strapped of you, no shuns, no cutcos.

Whats the weight and spine thickness on it?

Any particular things you are interested in trading with? I.e. 240 gyuto, 150 petty??

Whats the weight and spine thickness on it?

I don't have it with me at work. i'll measure the spine tomorrow and see if I can find a scale. It maybe in ounces though as we only have and old fashioned dial scale.

Any particular things you are interested in trading with? I.e. 240 gyuto, 150 petty??

210 to 270 sujis or gyutos but, they gotta be good. Also always looking for raw materials such as teeth, bones, wood or leather, hides and such. edc knives or unusual antique canes.

I'm no kanji expert, but that is suprisingly similar to the kanji on Iwasaki kamisori's. And Iwasaki is from Sanjo also....hmmmm a knife made by Kousuke Iwasaki??? Now that would be a great knife to own

Bump, sale never happened, don't know why. I had a few pms on this can't remember who now. $200 conus need the cash

Back