Visit to Guns Plus, Spring Lake, NC

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
No photos today. The store doesn't allow any cameras in the store.

Some may remember Guns Plus. They were the subject of a "reality show" about a firearms pawn shop. From what I saw, there is little if any pawn and a whole lot of selling.

I went with three others and we spent two hours driving there and two hours back, stayed in the shop for an hour looking at everything and buying things then another hour in the inside shooting range. I was finally able to try out the .40 cal Glock my son-in-law gave me and the 9mm Glock I purchased a few weeks ago. Once I relearn everything I forgot I might be a decent shot. The only problem now is that ammo is starting to be hard to find with everyone snatching up boxes and extended mags. All the Wal Marts are empty, the local gun shops have little if anything left and I am going to check out Gander Mtn this afternoon.

Right after Obama's first election all ammo was bout up because he was going to take away everyone's guns. The ammo makers made a lot of money, the shops made a lot of money, and here we are again. *sigh*

Somehow I lost my magazines for my Cx4. (Or stolen at the range) I was happy Beretta still had two twenty rounders in stock.

I did manage to purchase 4 boxes of .40, 2 boxes of 9mm and 1 box of .380 at Gander Mtn this afternoon. The boxes were flying off the shelves. When the AR-15's are back, I will get one for myself or something similar.

And, I ordered two extended magazines from TheGlockStore.com t5his morning and the message from them is the mags are out of stock nationwide. Who knows when that order will be filled.

David,

You didn't mention if it was worth going. Any better than any other gun shop? Spectacular deals?

-AJ

Might be time to consider hand loading if only just for the .40 It's not any thing difficult but it can eat some time.

The trip was worth it if nothing else for the good time we had going down and back. The shop isn't that special, just a spot in the road made famous by a "reality" show. The indoor range was good, not that expensive and I was able to get a little time in on both pistols after almost 30 years away from shooting. No deals, except for them.

I am considering reloading the .40 or trying to find someone to do it for me. If I ever get a .45 or a .357 I will invest in the reloading gear myself. A long time ago I had a .357 Colt Trooper II and a Dan Wesson .357 with a 6" barrel. We had someone reloading for us using hollow based wad cutters loaded backwards so they would splatter if they hit a gnat. And reoalding with a lighter powder charge helped to lessen the recoil and make the shooting more enjoyable.

From what I have been told, there has been an ammo shortage/backlog in the popular calibers since President Obama was elected.............in 2008. Some family friends just opened a HUGE new gun 70,000 sq ft shop and range in Tampa last month and they had LOTS of everything for sale..........except for ammo. Well, ammo and decent knives, but I am working on that second issue.:lol2:

amazing how different the gun situation is up here compared to you guys down south

Yep. The first two gun "megastores" that I ever saw were the two large Tamiami Gun Shop locations in Miami and the Kittery Trading Post in Kittery, Maine back in the mid to late 70's and early 80's. Tamiami was the first place I saw that had LOT of "black guns" and Kittery had and still has from what I have seen, a lot of high end and custom hunting rifles and shotguns. Big stores of boht types became more common in the 80's and we eventually ended up with chaines like Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander, etc moving in on that biz. The hihg end stores are more rare now. The lcosest one to me may be Kevins in Tallahassee, FL and Thomasville, GA. Bass Pro moved many their highest of end guns from their fine gun rooms around the country back to the main store in Missouri a while back.,
amazing how different the gun situation is up here compared to you guys down south

Plenty of ammo for you guys up here in the Inland Northwest. Our pawn shops are bursting at the seams with guns as well. Come enjoy the scenery, catch a trout in the river, and shoot the local stumps why don't ya? ;)

Not for long, I suspect. the real shortages are in calibers like 9mm, .45 ACP, .223 and .308 as perviously mentioned. Not sure .40, .357 and some of the others are doing.
Plenty of ammo for you guys up here in the Inland Northwest. Our pawn shops are bursting at the seams with guns as well. Come enjoy the scenery, catch a trout in the river, and shoot the local stumps why don't ya? ;)

I recently sold off six guns via armslist. My email has blown up from interest. I sold them for fair value, but I think I could have gone higher....

Decided a concealed handgun, a larger frame handgun, a shotgun and a rifle are more than enough.

Back