Quantcast
Visit to Guns Plus, Spring Lake, NC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visit to Guns Plus, Spring Lake, NC

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC

Visit to Guns Plus, Spring Lake, NC

No photos today. The store doesn't allow any cameras in the store.

Some may remember Guns Plus. They were the subject of a "reality show" about a firearms pawn shop. From what I saw, there is little if any pawn and a whole lot of selling.

I went with three others and we spent two hours driving there and two hours back, stayed in the shop for an hour looking at everything and buying things then another hour in the inside shooting range. I was finally able to try out the .40 cal Glock my son-in-law gave me and the 9mm Glock I purchased a few weeks ago. Once I relearn everything I forgot I might be a decent shot. The only problem now is that ammo is starting to be hard to find with everyone snatching up boxes and extended mags. All the Wal Marts are empty, the local gun shops have little if anything left and I am going to check out Gander Mtn this afternoon.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Wait a little David, a lot of panic buying happening but it will settle down. .40 should still be available, it is around here. .22, .45, 9mm, .223, .308 forget about it.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    Wait a little David, a lot of panic buying happening but it will settle down.
    I remember a couple of years ago my father-in-law said there was a shortage of ammunition in our area because some 'scarelore' e-mail spam had spread about the UN taking away our guns. It also passed...

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Right after Obama's first election all ammo was bout up because he was going to take away everyone's guns. The ammo makers made a lot of money, the shops made a lot of money, and here we are again. *sigh*
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Somehow I lost my magazines for my Cx4. (Or stolen at the range) I was happy Beretta still had two twenty rounders in stock.

Still Plays With Blocks
    I did manage to purchase 4 boxes of .40, 2 boxes of 9mm and 1 box of .380 at Gander Mtn this afternoon. The boxes were flying off the shelves. When the AR-15's are back, I will get one for myself or something similar.

And, I ordered two extended magazines from TheGlockStore.com t5his morning and the message from them is the mags are out of stock nationwide. Who knows when that order will be filled.

David,

You didn't mention if it was worth going. Any better than any other gun shop? Spectacular deals?

-AJ

Might be time to consider hand loading if only just for the .40 It's not any thing difficult but it can eat some time.
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Still Plays With Blocks
    The trip was worth it if nothing else for the good time we had going down and back. The shop isn't that special, just a spot in the road made famous by a "reality" show. The indoor range was good, not that expensive and I was able to get a little time in on both pistols after almost 30 years away from shooting. No deals, except for them.

I am considering reloading the .40 or trying to find someone to do it for me. If I ever get a .45 or a .357 I will invest in the reloading gear myself. A long time ago I had a .357 Colt Trooper II and a Dan Wesson .357 with a 6" barrel. We had someone reloading for us using hollow based wad cutters loaded backwards so they would splatter if they hit a gnat. And reoalding with a lighter powder charge helped to lessen the recoil and make the shooting more enjoyable.

From what I have been told, there has been an ammo shortage/backlog in the popular calibers since President Obama was elected.............in 2008. Some family friends just opened a HUGE new gun 70,000 sq ft shop and range in Tampa last month and they had LOTS of everything for sale..........except for ammo. Well, ammo and decent knives, but I am working on that second issue.