Quantcast
Store with affordable international shipping? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Store with affordable international shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    my country's super money grubbing corrupt customs officers often still tax me even if it was declared as a gift.
    Bastages!
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

thank goodness i found that courier. but it only works in the USA. other countries, i still have to stick with regular shipping. i gotta talk to that customs officer and make some sort of mutually beneficial arrangement. =D

Quote Originally Posted by playford View Post
    Ok what about this for an idea your forschner/victorinox are what $90 and postage from uk will be more than likely say $20 at least.... So your at around $110 dollars..

Try The fujiwara FKM. http://japanesechefsknife.com/FKMSer...EIGHT:%20236px

No.10 Gyuto (chefs) 240mm: $83.00

No.1 Petty 120mm Cutting edge length: 120mm $40.00

Postage to argentina = $7

Total cost $130.

Pick up a cheap bread knife locally an thats you sorted for a pretty wide selection of tasks.
    Sound suggestion,Forschner is not a bad knife,but the Fujiwara has much better geometry,cost a little more than a Forsch.,but a good blade.If that postage is correct to Argentina for a 240 & petty,I agree

I'll check them. I dont mind to extend my budged a little more if i get quality. The con of that website is that offers so obscure brands to knives newbies like me! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by playford View Post
    Ok what about this for an idea your forschner/victorinox are what $90 and postage from uk will be more than likely say $20 at least.... So your at around $110 dollars..

Try The fujiwara FKM. http://japanesechefsknife.com/FKMSer...EIGHT:%20236px

No.10 Gyuto (chefs) 240mm: $83.00

No.1 Petty 120mm Cutting edge length: 120mm $40.00

Postage to argentina = $7

Total cost $130.

Pick up a cheap bread knife locally an thats you sorted for a pretty wide selection of tasks.
    Mmm, those blades do not have symmetric cutting angles, am i right? Its 30/70 instead of 50/50. Doesnt that restricts its flexibility in what to cut and make it harder to sharpen?

I wouldnt worry too much, 50/50 and 30/70 isnt a great deal apart!

Asymmetric sharpening is much faster: with some degree of exageration, one could say you sharpen only the right side and deburr the left one. And from time to time you add a few strokes to recenter the edge a little.

Well guys, i just closed my eyes and hit the PURCHASE button! Got a Fujiwara 210 mm Gyuto and a 12mm Petty knives. 7 USD shipping for BOTH items from JAPAN to Argentina is NUTS! :-)

Hope customs does not get annoyed by the value over 100 bucks and makes me pay 50% import tax rate. So far, with non courier shipments only national posts and under 100 bucks i had not trouble at all and got all packages tax free to my work.

Thank you guys! Now i'll have to look resources about how to take care of these beauties...

Congratulations! About maintenance, you've found the right place to ask, I would think. And you made my day by calling the brands JCK carries 'obscure'.

Contact JCK (their communication via email is great) and ask them to label as a gift, something like 25 or 50 dollars. That's what I did and that way you are safe on customs. They did it without issue and my knife arrived to canada in 3 days, very pleased with JCK

+ Reply to Thread