Quantcast
sushi rice - 'lil help
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sushi rice - 'lil help

sushi rice - 'lil help

I can't make sushi rice to save mas ass. I need help.

I thought it may be the brand I've been using - Lundberg organic short grain sushi rice - but that ain't it. I just bought another brand at an Asian market - a short grain white rice f/ Cali - and the results were the same. I no problems at all with any other type of rice - brown, white, black, wild, long grain, short grain, basmati, etc. I like to use short grain white rice - sushi rice - as a side dish. I don't season the rice as per sushi.

I get gloppy, overly sticky stuck together goo with hard centers.

Here's what I do....

put 2 cups of dry rice in a pot, run filtered water over and rub between my hands until the water is milky. Drain. Repeat 2-3 times, until the water is clear-ish.

Add 3 +/- cups filtered water. I usually use the one finger knuckle as a final measure, but I generally use about 1-1/2 cups water to 1 cup rice.

Put on burner. Put burner on high. Bring to boil.

Stir gently to loosen rice and make sure none is sticking to bottom of pan.

Turn burner to low - until water (that's left) just barely bubbles. Cover. Simmer. 12-15 minutes, until water is absorbed.

Turn off burner. Let sit for 10 minutes.

Gloppy rice.

I'm thinking a couple of things;
    1) I'm not rinsing the rice enough and there's too much starch when I cook it
    2) stirring it after it boils agitates the rice and produces too much starch
    3) I'm boiling too long

The really funny thing is the GF made the Lundberg rice once a couple weeks ago (and she can’t really cook). She followed the directions on the packages and it came out very nicely. Go figure.

Any thoughts? Much appreciated - Cheers! mpp
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Electric rice cookers work real nice.

I have a rule. Unless it's risotto I don't stir the rice and I rarely remove the cover.

I toast the rice in the pan a bit then add the water, and when the first tiny bubbles appear I cover and turn to low for 20 minutes. It always seems to come out fine!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Don't over wash the rice, and do it gently. the rice breaks easy and that might be 1 reason.

Depends on the weather. if raining i use less water. but i go for 0.8dl for 1L of cali sushi rice.

Rice cooker will give you the best result but if cooking on gas then,

cover, Bring to the boil, then turn the heat to the lowest. sometimes gas stoves are still high at the lowest. i remember my mom using tin cans covers under the bot to lower the heat.

Leave it to cook for 15 mins covered. Don't uncover at any point.
    let it rest for 10 mins.

You should get a very good cooked rice

Sorry for my messy English and hopefully that will help

On Sushi rice I don't rinse or stir. Are you cooling the rice after it just finishes absorbing water and adding your vinegar or just letting it steam in the pan with the lid on?
    Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I have a rule. Unless it's risotto I don't stir the rice and I rarely remove the cover.
    that's the same rule my father taught me when i was a child, and it has always seemed to work out well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Electric rice cookers work real nice.

Rules to live by.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Yeah, +1 for the rice cooker. I use the recipe out of The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

When I came over from the dark side of Boil N Bag and Uncle Bens Perverted Rice years ago, I was told the same thing about putting the lid on, turning the heat down and not touching for the entire cooking time. Works for me.

OVEN BAKED RICE

1 1/2 c. rice
    3 tbsp. melted butter or vegetable oil
    3 1/2 c. boiling water
    1/4 c. chopped parsley, optional
    2 tbsp. dried minced onion, optional
    Combine rice, butter (or oil) and parsley and onion (if desired) in a buttered 2 quart casserole. Pour boiling water over, stir with a fork and cover. Bake for 40 minutes in oven at 350 degrees.