Quantcast
sushi rice - 'lil help - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sushi rice - 'lil help

For sushi rice, I rinse several times, stir the rice into boiling water. It's enough water to cover the rice plus a bit more (maybe 30% more by volume). I keep the heat high and stir until it is all boiling and then I turn to whatever the lowest setting is that keeps it barely boiling. After about 25 min, I uncover and taste it. If the center is still too hard, I let it sit a while longer. Eventually, the center gets soft. If your rice comes out too gloppy, I would reduce the amount of water. If the centers are hard, I would let it sit hot longer.

Rinse till clear, 1 to 1 ratio of rice to water in the cooker. Cook for 20 minutes then rest still covered for 10. The rice to su ratio is about 10 to 1. Use a wooden bowl and spoon, pour the su over the back of the spoon and slice into the rice as if you are cutting it. In front of a fan helps. This is perfect rice. Ask me about the su recipe next.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

it sounds like you might not be cooling the rice properly. you should "cut" the rice and fan it to cool it quickly while adding your kombu/vinegar or whatever you plan to finish it with. very important step

I don't think you washed the rice enough. If the water is still milky, that usually means that there's still extra stuff (starch, residual rice powder, etc.). I rinse my rice until the water runs clear.

If you feel like the center isn't cooked through, after you drain the rice, let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes. It will help the rice absorb water and penetrate deeper so it's not so hard.

As far as cooking it on the stove, I haven't done this in years but I would recommend just leaving it alone - mixing short grain or medium grain rice will release more starch and cause it to get really gummy.

I agree with not removing the cover and letting the rice sit covered off of the burner when done is really critical. That's, IMHO, is the last final key step to cooking the rice all the way through.

I know non-stick is generally considered a faux pas, but for rice, it's invaluable. If you cook rice often, I also would recommend getting an inexpensive rice cooker.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys.

I'm not getting a rice cooker - my stupid builder-spec kitchen has so little storage and counter space that I can't deal with another appliance. Plus, like I said before, I have no trouble cooking any other type of rice in a pot on the stove top.

I'm not even getting to the seasoning step - I've never made sushi myself, not have I seasoned rice for this application. I just love sushi rice as a side dish, and use it as we westerners would use any other type of rice.

I couple of additions/clarifications;

I add a pinch of sea salt and a slight drizzle of olive oil to the pot before it starts to boil. Would either of these cause a problem? I've tried it without salt or oil, and doesn't seem to make much a difference.

I only stir the rice briefly once it starts to boil. Then I put the lid on, lower the temp to just above the lowest setting, and do not remove the lid. Well, hang on that's not quite true... I usually lift the lid after 15 minutes or so to see what's going on, especially if I'm in experiment mode. Sometimes I'll taste the rice at this stage to evaluate doneness, or prod it gently to see if there's water left in the bottom of the pot. I'll add a bit more water if needed. Usually if I go this route, it's a recipe for gloppy rice with under done centers. Never a problem with any other type of rice tho...

I always let the rice sit in the pot off heat for 10 +/- minutes.

I think my main problem is not rinsing the rice enough.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Electric rice cookers work real nice.

Daughter brought one home this last year.
    I was skeptical at first but the thing just flat out works!

Pretty much idiot proof.
    Thinking I was their target market...

this one works great for me

Rinse rice, then ratio of 1:1.2 rice to water, bring to boil, add lid, leave for 15 mins medium heat, then off the heat for ten. Stir once or twice before the lid goes on then leave alone. Nothing in the water, no salt, no oil, nothing. When cooked turn out onto a board and fan. Cooling the rice helps stop it being sticky. Season with salt and toasted sesame, or vinegar.

Never having cooked sushi rice, I am hesitant to chime in. However, the chemist in me begs the question: what is the altitude where you cook? Most of Colorado is over 5000 ft (where water boils at about 203F) and much of the state is significantly higher than that. It could be making a difference. -Doug

+1 Factor to consider...

My 2 cents are, master the process before sprinting for the cooker (they are very practical). Learning to cook the rice just right is critical part of the sushi making experience, you'll be glad you did as I did. Ive been making sushi for years and have benefited from this. Not to mention other rice based dishes like paella.

There is a lot of technique involved and every little nuance counts, from the quality of the fish you use, to how you cut your makis, to how you turn the rice, to how you cut your vegetables.

My advice is take your time and understand how everything interacts, your sushi will be better for it!

+ Reply to Thread