Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wine...Where to Start?!

Read a book. Get a basic knowledge of the most popular grape varieties and search yourself. Noone can promise the wine called good will actually taste good to you.

What I used to do was buying 5-6 bottles, same colour different grape and try them/compare. Hopefully you will start to find connection between grape variety and your preference. But yeah, drink drink drink

Up until you dont marry ultra tannic wine with bitter food for example, you should have fun.

I recommend watching Jancis Robinson's Wine Course dvds

Get an app for your phone. Handy little tool when blindly picking. Go to wine tastings. It's a good way to try several wines and knowledgeable people are doing the pouring.

Beware of collecting. I don't know about you but I tend to collect stuff. It can get expensive and stupid.

After decades in the fine dining biz I've tried a ton of wine. When it's all said and done I drink what I like and it's usually in the $20-$30 price range (Wholesale)

If you want to blow your mind go to the Food and Wine Festival in Aspen (Ususally in June) Pricey but you could literally taste at least a thousand different wines.

@ Stefan, I've been sitting on a D'yquem 90 for about ten years now. One of these days............

Start reading and tasting. Wine spectator used to be pretty good, just take the numbers with a grain of salt. They often have features on a region with focus on several representative makers. Costco is also a good place to start. They have big selection of good wines. I would avoid trader joes. Hone in on your preferences, learn about predominant characteristics of various grapes, regions etc. you do not need to nor would I advise spending a lot per bottle- good examples of most varietals to be had for 20-30 per bottle. It just takes time, education and an open mind. Good luck.

drink what you like no matter the price point. If you love two buck chuck drink, that if you love amarone drink that. unless you are a collector why waste the money unless it's for a special occasion.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Pick a grape, drink different wines that have it and learn what you like. You'll figure out what styles, countries and regions you prefer. Read the ratings and google everything and see what fits your wallet and palate. Go to tastings, buy online and if you really like something buy a case.

When it comes to recommendations and ratings you'll figure out who you like and who to ignore.

Start with low tannic wines with easy to grow grapes like Tempranillo, blends of syrah/shiraz and Grenache. Try zinfandel.

In the $15 range check out:
    Acustic Montsant (Spain, carignan and garnacha blend)
    Sogrape Calabriga Duoro Red (Portugal),
    T-Sanzo Tempranillo Roble (Spain),
    Apothic (California zin, merlot, syrah and cab blend)
    Seghesio zinfandel

For the regular wino finding a great $30 wine is the goal, but for people with money some expensive wines are nirvana. If you have the dough some tiny California wineries are putting out $75-$200 wines that rival first growth Bordeaux at 3x the price.
    Vine Hill Ranch (If a $150 bottle can ever be considered a bargain, this is it. Outstanding)
    Hourglass (Best Merlot I’ve had)
    Vineyardist
    Ovid ($200 for their regular cab, a group of us liked the $100 2006 Ovid Experiment 9.36 just as much)
    Seven Stones
    Aaron Pott
    Bruce Philips
    Switchback Ridge (Same winemaker and 30 yards away from Hourglass at $20 less a bottle of merlot)
    Peter Michael
    Schrader

We recently drank the ’89 and ’90 d’Yquem Sauternes. Both were outstanding but the ’90 was better.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    @ Stefan, I've been sitting on a D'yquem 90 for about ten years now. One of these days............
    I sprang for a half bottle when I turned 40 and drank it with my wine friends. I was fortunate enough to try quite a few very nice German dessert wines and a few Sauternes, but this was really standing out of all the dessert wines I had.

Stefan

Pretty much what Salty, Son & Bieniek said.

Drink, listen, read, learn, ask questions, and drink some more. Drink what you like, and don’t get caught up in the hype. There are so may nice wines out there, but there’s also so so much hype and BS. Is a $150 bottle better than a $25 bottle? Not necessarily…

Being a private chef, I’ve had clients that drop bombs on wine, and I’ve gotten to try quite a few really nice wines. Only one was remarkable that stands out – ’79 Grand Vin de Chateau La Tour. There have been lots of other really nice wines, too.

One rule of thumb another good friend who’s a pretty good wine buff and I have – only drink one really nice bottle of wine at a time, and have it before you have ANYTHING else. After that it’s a waste.

Wine tastings can be fun, but after about 4-5-6 wines I’m overwhelmed.

Many of my friends that know wine are going with Old World wines rather than New World wines from Cali, South America & Australia. Some New Word wines have been getting a bad rap for being made with big bold, fruit forward and sweet flavor profiles – they’re being dubbed as made for uneducated people who are easily wowed and impressed.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Beware hype
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Find a local wine shop run by folks who know their butts from a jug of cider. Google wine clubs. Colorado Springs has a number of them. Try to find one which is a real club...that is....just people who get together, taste and share their thoughts and their lucky finds...and DON'T necessarily sell wine. It shouldn't take long for you to discover your own tastes.