Quantcast
De-Vein Whole Roasted Foie?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De-Vein Whole Roasted Foie?

De-Vein Whole Roasted Foie?

I'm trying to ascertain whether it is necessary/recommended to devein a lobe of foie gras prior to roasting it whole. The internet appears to be conflicted on the matter, with some sites indicating it's not necessary, others indicating it is, and still others stating that it need only be done for the main veins.

Anybody have any experience/advice? If the recommendation is to devein, any resources out there that explain the process? I've done it only once, but it involved essentially destroying the lobe's form and integrity, reducing the foie to paste. Perhaps I was just shown a bad method...

I've got two, 2lb lobes, however, from Hudson valley and would greatly appreciate some advice before I potentially ruin a couple hundred dollars worth of beautiful product.

I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

How exactly do you plan to 'roast' it? Foie is basically straight fat, and therefore it wil turn into a puddle of said fat unless exposed to quick, high heat. Which is why it's typically served cold/room temp in the guise of torchon and terrines of some sort. Which are basically a restructured version of the original.

All that aside... Are you concerned with keeping the lobes in some semblance of their original shape? I only ask because the easiest method for de-veining(that I'm aware of) is pushing it through a fine mesh of some sort. You can reshape the foie after if need be. Traditional de-veining is very involved and time consuming.

The roasting part still confounds me though, I must admit....
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    Thomas Keller would kill that chick through sheer force of will if he saw that vid... She's basically tearing it apart cave man style...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

anyway you look at it it's a messy situation. If you lightly soak the foie gras in lightly salted water over night in the fridge with ice in the brine it will be firmer and will hold up better to the deviening process.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Thomas Keller would kill that chick through sheer force of will if he saw that vid... She's basically tearing it apart cave man style...
    I know but, this is the most common method I have seen in most kitchens.

You don't remove the veins to pan sear/ roast. i would only remove them for a terrine,mousse,torchon.

+ Reply to Thread