Quantcast
One wa-gyuto to rule them all
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One wa-gyuto to rule them all

Question One wa-gyuto to rule them all

hello,

i am currently searching for a wa-gyuto. although i generally prefer western handles, i would like to try (and own) one single (at least this is what i am telling myself right now) wa-gyuto.

i am a hobby chef, so no professional environment, simply someone who enjoys working with high quality food and knives, cooking for 2 most of the time. my western collection is already complete, including the following knives:
    165mm yaxell ran santoku
    190mm hiromoto as santoku
    210mm wuesthof dreizack classic
    210mm hattori kd gyuto
    270mm konosuke hd gyuto

all are double-bevelled, semi-stainless or stainless. size-wise i clearly prefer either 240 or 210, 270 is definitely something that i don't use much to be honest.

i am not afraid of using a carbon blade, but haven't tried one yet. patina is something i have just recently started to like - but now i do! also, i haven't yet sharpened a single-bevelled knife, meaning i have no experience with that. but i am willing to learn, if necessary.

i know there are several nice blacksmiths out there who do great or even fantastic knives, some for reasonable money, some for higher prices and some are very desirable but definitely nothing i would want to spend (my budget is under 1,000 US$... if it's even under 500 US$, fine. but if there's something worth spending a little more, why not? i have 2 re-handle jobs in my mind for 2 of my western knives, so...).

from my research so far, mostly here in this forum but also some other sites, i found the following brands very interesting:
    heiji
    masamoto
    mizuno tanrenjo
    shigefusa
    singatirin
    watanabe
    yoshihide
    yoshihiro
    yoshikane

those are quite many, i know, and it shows that i have no idea where to go...

damascus pattern is something nice, but nothing that has to be. no hammer-finish or similar. no black blades. clads are fine. and honyaki also is something that has recently caught my attraction. i know that honyaki is nothing cheap, but there are affordable honyaki knives out there (singatirin, or even watanabe). i generally prefer something handmade, maybe some smaller blacksmiths, family-run maybe, over bigger companies with mass-production. but from the above, none is "big", is it?

so, that is quite confusing and quite much information, i know. but from what i have written, is there anything that you can recommend?

check out JKI's stuff as well. his selections are great value for the money afaik. =D

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those options, I really like shigefusa, but it can be tricky getting one, and i would also add yoshiaki fujiwara ( Kato) and Gesshin Hide to your list. My kato is my best performing gyuto.
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Mario or Marko custom only way to go if you want the best performance at a great price.

Quote Originally Posted by jgraeff View Post
    Mario or Marko custom only way to go if you want the best performance at a great price.
    You're forgetting Tilman Leder (Rottman). Considering the OP's location, it's the best option, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    You're forgetting Tilman Leder (Rottman). Considering the OP's location, it's the best option, IMHO.
    Will Catcheside in the UK is also an excellent option.

For me, that knife comes from Mr. Devin Thomas. My 250, san mai has had the number one spot in my block for well over a year. But...you really can't go wrong with any of the above listed options.

Haven't had an opportunity to try his knives so I can't recommend however I'd love to try one.

On the other hand it'd be very hard to beat Marko or Mario, I have even used some DT and I prefer their knives over his.

I agree with Rick. Tilman is a great option for those in Europe, his prices and waiting list are very reasonable.

You can't really go wrong with any of them. It's like a whos who of knife making

I have heard a lot of great things about Marko's knives. i would love to get one myself one day