Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: One wa-gyuto to rule them all

I'm really into the KS I got used, from a fellow member and would consider it one of the nicest pure work knives I've used. It's not flashy, but it sure is sharp, light and nicely ground. However, I've been thinking about this a bit and the DT ITK is up there along with the Davis gyuto that went around, anything by Pierre or Butch, and I have very high expectations for the gyuto I have waiting for me, made by my friend Tslil Censor.

This is so subjective, I don't think that even I could settle on my gyuto to rule them all.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

does any of you know how much d-shaped handles differ among makers? masamoto handles look rather slim...

Masamotos are indeed slim. On the other extreme, I have a Yoshikane 270 hammered with a monstrous D-handle: 28.5 x 21.5 mm at the ferrule.

Guess everyones pick would be different. Could I pick one knife? Yes, but I dont actually own it

If you look for honyaki, you have to accept what comes with the territory. Either you will like it, or you will sell the knife.
    Wouldnt blame the producer for it.

I dont like knives with the tip soooo very bendable that feels "soft" and cheap, but some here are claiming edge stability is more important than sharpness... Make your own mind, OP.
    Some would say that on the top of the game the sharpness is same and functionality very similar.
    I tried just a few knives but it was enough. Long story short, you want great "taste of the edge" take japanese, you want all else [stability, retention blah blah] cause of "compromise" take anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    On the other extreme, I have a Yoshikane 270 hammered with a monstrous D-handle: 28.5 x 21.5 mm at the ferrule.
    You ain't lying! The 270 Yoshikane I used to own had the largest wa handle I've ever seen...it was a monster.

Compared to a 'regular' sized octagon wa handle

And it easily dwarfed the d-shaped on my 240 Yosh

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    If you look for honyaki, you have to accept what comes with the territory. Either you will like it, or you will sell the knife.
    Wouldnt blame the producer for it.

I dont like knives with the tip soooo very bendable that feels "soft" and cheap, but some here are claiming edge stability is more important than sharpness... Make your own mind, OP.
    Some would say that on the top of the game the sharpness is same and functionality very similar.
    thanx a lot for sharing your thoughts! i find that quite interesting. also, one of the producers in my list does offer honyaki but doesn't recommend honyaki for utility knives... i'll probably save the extra cash and get myself a custom handle - or a custom knife!

currently, i'd go for a 240mm wa-gyuto from one of these makers:
    - watanabe (blue steel #2)
    - heiji (sweden steel)
    - marko tsourkan (52100)
    - masamoto ks

deciding is a tough job!!!

Quote Originally Posted by daddy yo yo View Post
    one of the producers in my list does offer honyaki but doesn't recommend honyaki for utility knives...
    No wonder I think you could take it, just accept what is it.

Either of these should satisfy you in the basic meaning.

The question is, what do you really like in a knife? Most sharpness, most edge retention? Most reactivity? Most looks?

gengetsu....marko.....

...yoshikane V2 "damascus"...

Bah... If you cherish handmade and under 1000$ is your budget, I'd go with a custom. Many good makers hre in the forums, I'm personally interested in Will Catcheside and his full billet-to-knife custom process but there are many excellent professionals to choos from.