Quantcast
One wa-gyuto to rule them all - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: One wa-gyuto to rule them all

in the meantime and as i can't post in the B/S/T section, if anyone has one of the following wa-gyutos to sell (either 240 or 270), please send me a PM:
    - watanabe pro
    - heiji
    - masamoto ks
    - konosuke white #2
    - konosuke fujiyama white #2

i am definitely interested in one of marko tsourkan's knives, but i am considering to make a wa-handle myself (just for the experience of doing so), and i would need a blade for that, a used one.

all are knives from totally different parts of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    Mpukas, i understand the difference. It's just that it is completely counterintuitive to anything that I have ever done. In my western world, monosteel knives are easier. But them again, I would NEVER hammer on a cold blade, so it does show how much difference there is between the traditional 16th and 17th Century Japanese techniques and my ultra modern state of the art 19th and early 20th Century techniques. I was also surp[ised to learn that while a lot of the tradtionally made japanes knives are forged to thickness and taper, they are not forged to shape.
    My knowledge of honyaki and bladesmithing in general is severlly limited.
    Here's a vid f/ Murray Carter on his 2010 Japan tour, where he visited Mr. Shiraki. At 12:00 he talks about how a honyaki blade is made.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

just wanted to let you know, i made my decision. marko tsourkan 255mm gyuto made of 52100... not a bad choice i believe! patience is a virtue i have yet learn to deal with!

You definitely will not regret it. I am waiting patiently for mine to come up. Now I just have to get my project with Mario figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by daddy yo yo View Post
    just wanted to let you know, i made my decision. marko tsourkan 255mm gyuto made of 52100... not a bad choice i believe! patience is a virtue i have yet learn to deal with!
    It will be well worth the wait!