Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: One wa-gyuto to rule them all

Anxiously awaiting Marko letting me know I am on deck.

What is Mario's website? I looked threw a few of his posts and did not see a link.

I contacted him through here rrlover I think is his user name.

Both are amazing makers but different altogether. I couldn't choose just one... Money well spent though

Quote Originally Posted by Reede View Post
    That is one sexy knife!
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I would go with with a kato (never used one but the reviews have been outstanding) or a shigefusa, or a custom maker. I don't think marko can be beaten for price versus quality but be prepared for a lengthy wait. I'm not saying there aren't other great makers out there, there are, but if I was looking for a great gyuto I'd go for one of his.

I'm funny, in that I like knives that cut like nobody's business, and are pretty, but still seem like they're made to be beaten up on. Do I have on wa-gyuto to rule them all? Heck no! But I do have my favorite knives.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

hello guys,

thank you very much for your numerous replies! i know that buying a knife has a lot to do with personal preferences, shape, style, grip, cutting motion, and so on. i have not yet thought about a gyuto made by a custom maker but the more i think about it, the more i like the idea, even though i thought i had a clear preference for a japanese-made blade. but why not try something new?

somehow i wonder why i have recommended to others to go for a custom maker instead of buying a stock knife, but have never considered that for me.

i have heard of basically most of the makers you guys listed in your posts, except tilman leder / rottman. does he have a website? or should i contact him through this forum? can i find a picture gallery somewhere?

i would like to add one more thing regarding blade thickness: i would consider my current blades rather thin. would it then make sense to get myself a thicker wa-gyuto such as the heiji (this is thicker, isn't it?)? but then on the other hand, isn't one of the advantages of wa-gyutos over western handles the weight save?

from the japanese gyutos i really like either heiji or watanabe, most likely the honyaki-version. from the custom makers i am quite drawn to marko tsourkan's knives...

Zoinks! That is a particular method of construction that I would like to try eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reede View Post

One emphatic vote for the Masamoto KS. The profile is second to none and the geometry, weight, F&F, etc. are all way up there. Definitely get the Honyaki if you can afford it. It's my dream knife.