Quantcast
Shun Alternatives (or knives around $100)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shun Alternatives (or knives around $100)

Shun Alternatives (or knives around $100)

I know everyone says there are better alternatives than Shun for the same price range (or around $100), but for the life of me I can't remember which ones they were.

What are those alternatives, and what do they have that Shun doesn't? Non-VG10 steel?

the issue with the classic Shuns is profile, at least with the chef knives. i'd take the basic Miyabis, Tojiro DP, Global, and Fujiwara FKM knives over the Shun classic chef. the Shun classic knives honestly aren't bad deals, in my opinion.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I was gonna say Tanaka but at that price it's pretty much vg-10. I would also say Miyabis, and Global's also at that lvl. I was also thinking Togiharu at that lvl too, but they are a little over 100 for a 8".
    Chewie's the man.

this used to be a lot easier, but most of the value knives have gone up in price, sometimes significantly.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Suisin Inox Westen through JKI, CarboNext, Miyabi.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Honestly John has a few knives that look good at that price, haven't tried them but I would like too at some time.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Suisin Inox Westen through JKI, CarboNext, Miyabi.
    i haven't used a Suisin Inox Western or CarboNext, but those seem solid.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i haven't used a Suisin Inox Western or CarboNext, but those seem solid.
    I have used a coworker's Suisin western inox and it was a solid knife, no complaints. I own a Suisin western in carbon steel, and it's been a beast for years, and even cheaper than the inox while still being amazingly non-reactive for inexpensive carbon.
    To the OP, I wouldn't put too much emphasis on "non VG-10", and more on a reputable maker. Based on a few students' shun knives I've sharpened, their version of VG-10 feels rubbery and leaves a tinfoil-like burr, while my Hattori feels buttery smooth on the stones and takes quite a nice edge very easily.

With the prices the way they are today, I'd have a hard time not spending just a little more and going straight for something like a Hiromoto AS/G3 or Masamoto VG. an extra $50 up front over the span of the knife's life is pennies a day at most. And you're getting a known performer with no obvious weaknesses. YMMV, IMHO, etc...

i've never had an issue de-burring VG-10, regardless of maker. it's good steel.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i've never had an issue de-burring VG-10, regardless of maker. it's good steel.
    It wasn't difficult to deburr by any means, more like it was way too easy to grind up a big, floppy burr. I've seen it a couple different times, like the steel was way too soft and you could pull a burr in no time that literally looked like foil.
    Anyway, I suppose the point I was getting at was that the skill of the knife maker is more important than the steel, most of the time.

+ Reply to Thread