Quantcast
Shun Alternatives (or knives around $100) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shun Alternatives (or knives around $100)

Thanks guys. Good to know about the VG-10 too.

I picked up a masazumi gyuto from he who shalt not be named as a Christmas present for one of the chefs that I work for. It seems well made but a touch thick behind the edge and whatever Swedish stainless that is used in it has quickly taken a bit of patina. It did sharpen up really well though and has held it pretty well.

Depending on what type of knives you are looking for, how about Masahiro Virgin Carbon (e.g. see here: http://www.phoenixknifehouse.com/masahiro.html)
    and the Minamoto Kotetsu knives (same as the Kumadori sold by Japan Woodworker) sold here: http://japan-blades.com/category/che...amoto-kotetsu? The former are a very nice knife in carbon steel, and the latter are Sandvik stainless that is cryogenically hardened. Both are western handled, don't know if that matters to you.

I'm happy with my carbonext. When you factor in their insanely cheap shipping, the fact that they are a smidge over your price point seems to break even. Plus their customer service is fantastic.

It wasn't difficult to deburr by any means, more like it was way too easy to grind up a big, floppy burr. I've seen it a couple different times, like the steel was way too soft and you could pull a burr in no time that literally looked like foil.
    Anyway, I suppose the point I was getting at was that the skill of the knife maker is more important than the steel, most of the time.
    certainly says a lot about the FH gyuto from JCK. many say that it's the best vg10 knives for the money.

I picked up a masazumi gyuto from he who shalt not be named as a Christmas present for one of the chefs that I work for. It seems well made but a touch thick behind the edge and whatever Swedish stainless that is used in it has quickly taken a bit of patina. It did sharpen up really well though and has held it pretty well.
    if you could later on talk about the masazumi a bit more i'd like to know about that knife. it seems to be quite affordable and looks to be a bang for the buck knife from what i can see.

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    certainly says a lot about the FH gyuto from JCK. many say that it's the best vg10 knives for the money.

if you could later on talk about the masazumi a bit more i'd like to know about that knife. it seems to be quite affordable and looks to be a bang for the buck knife from what i can see.
    I didn't cut anything with it when I had it but next time I have it home with me for a sharpening I'll do a little cutting with it. One thing i can say is it is definitely asymmetrically ground for right handed users with the left side of the blade nearly flat and right pretty strongly convexed. It is also a little on the narrow side compared to some other gyutos. It's about the same height from heel to spine as my glestain.

i see. thanks. sucks for me then. i'm a lefty.

thanks =D

Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    I didn't cut anything with it when I had it but next time I have it home with me for a sharpening I'll do a little cutting with it. One thing i can say is it is definitely asymmetrically ground for right handed users with the left side of the blade nearly flat and right pretty strongly convexed. It is also a little on the narrow side compared to some other gyutos. It's about the same height from heel to spine as my glestain.
    You must be referring to the Masazumi, rather than the Hattori FH. Mine is ground pretty much 50/50.

I was referred to a 240 Fujiwara carbon model on here. It cost about $85. I like it but it's nothing compared to some of the higher-end knives I've used. I'd love to hear some pro's weigh in on what they think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    You must be referring to the Masazumi, rather than the Hattori FH. Mine is ground pretty much 50/50.
    I think he was. Mine's also as close to 50/50 as I can tell.