Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolution of a D Handle

Evolution of a D Handle

I have mentioned recently that I am going to phase out horn due to a difficulty of securing a quality supply. I looked at several substitutes, and the best I liked are blackwood and ebony. However, I do not like to leave the wood end-grain exposed, so to address that, I will cap it with a metal.

It took me a while to work out the process, but below is a D-style handle that you will see on my knives from now on. I incorporated a few changes that were suggested during the private feedback and a current pass-around, so I think for the most part, the process is finalized.

For a metal cap, the choice will be nickel silver, aged bronze, stainless steel and DT mokume. A spacer of the same metal can be added.

I will also offer octagonal handles in the same construction, though I get barely any requests for them.

One drawback is that it takes me a longer time to complete a handle in this construction and I will have to surcharge for the extra labor. It won't be applied to orders that I accepted deposits or payments for, but for all others, I unfortunately have to. DT Mokume, will be extra, but bronze or nickel silver will be included. Stainless steel I am looking for right now, so it is not a choice yet.

Sorry for subpar pics - got home when it was dark already and am gifting this knife tonight, so this is the only opportunity to take pics.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0494.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	12403

Name:	DSC_0495.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	12404

Name:	DSC_0497.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	12405

Name:	DSC_0496.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	12406

Name:	DSC_0499.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	12407

Name:	DSC_0498.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	12408

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I like it Marko, my personal preference would be with spacer, I'd have a hard time deciding between DT mokume & Brass
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Marko, you clearly are a masochist But they do look great.

Stefan

I have to admit I am a little surprised by more people going D over octagon, they both look great, I just thought more prefered the octagon.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    I have to admit I am a little surprised by more people going D over octagon, they both look great, I just thought more prefered the octagon.
    I used to prefer octagonal until I tried one of Marko's D-handles.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Marko, you clearly are a masochist But they do look great.

Stefan
    +1......She is beautiful

Nice

Hoss

Excellent Marko, the tapered bolster looks like it will feel good in the hand. Very nice work as always.

It's funny I generally like octagon handles, but when I get my Marko's made, I gotta go with the D. Your d's look really comfortable Marko, I like the cap on the end, I can always tell a Marko handle, clean look.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Beautiful. The handle isn't bad either.