Quantcast
Evolution of a D Handle - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 103

Thread: Evolution of a D Handle

  1. #41
    Senior Member Crothcipt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Posts
    3,501
    Mammoth??? Its extinct.....

    JK

    Btw love the D handle. Wish others would do them here too.
    Chewie's the man.

  2. #42
    Marko Tsourkan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    4,084
    At this rate, elephants will be extinct soon too, hence I won't touch it, pre-ban, included.


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  3. #43
    very interesting

  4. #44
    Senior Member chinacats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    At this rate, elephants will be extinct soon too, hence I won't touch it, pre-ban, included.
    Good man Marko!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

  5. #45
    Marko Tsourkan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    4,084
    Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Good man Marko!
    I have been consistent on this for many years, and I intend on keeping it this way. I think I will be better off concentrate on quality of my blades (steel, HT, grind, etc) than on rarity of materials on my handles. Knife is a tool and should be used as one.


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  6. #46
    Marko Tsourkan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    4,084
    Ran into some issued with this construction that required some changes in the process. Had to stop work and only resumed it (almost a week after) once those were corrected. As a result, a couple of handles are offered as seconds. The cocobolo is actually a first quality, but I think the look with a spacer grew on me substantially, so all my handles will feature that from now on.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0493.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	13050

    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0492.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	13049

    PS: Knives in the pictures are practice while handles are seconds (technically only redwood is)


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    439
    How big are the handles? Or can you give us the length of the knives so we can figure out what they might fit. That gyuto that the cocobolo handle is on looks quite large. I would be very interested in the redwood handle if it would make an ideal fit the the 180mm shige Mukimono I just bought.

  8. #48
    Sponsors Dream Burls's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Ran into some issued with this construction that required some changes in the process. Had to stop work and only resumed it (almost a week after) once those were corrected. As a result, a couple of handles are offered as seconds. The cocobolo is actually a first quality, but I think the look with a spacer grew on me substantially, so all my handles will feature that from now on.

    Attachment 13050

    Attachment 13049

    PS: Knives in the pictures are practice while handles are seconds (technically only redwood is)
    Good choice. I think the spacer balances the tip very nicely. If you remember, I was thinking about that combination for my knife at one point. Maybe next time.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

  9. #49
    Marko Tsourkan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    4,084
    Quote Originally Posted by The hekler View Post
    How big are the handles? Or can you give us the length of the knives so we can figure out what they might fit. That gyuto that the cocobolo handle is on looks quite large. I would be very interested in the redwood handle if it would make an ideal fit the the 180mm shige Mukimono I just bought.
    These handles are sized to (and mounted on) the knives in the picture. Both are on hold till Tuesday.


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  10. #50
    Marko Tsourkan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    4,084
    Sorry, forgot to name the knives

    Top one 180mm long petty/short suji/utility knife in 52100 (ground super thin at the edge and above). Redwood handle with DT mokume spacer and tip.

    Bottom one is 225mm gyuto in 52100 (practice knife with earlier HT and thinner than my current knife. Latest geometry). Cocobolo handle with nickel silver tip.


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts