Quantcast
Evolution of a D Handle - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Evolution of a D Handle

Beautiful work, very elegant.

absolutely digging on the D handle. very elegant.

Thanks, folks.

Some people express preferences for both: tip and a spacer, some for tip only, so I will play by ear and for custom knives, of course, this will be a preference.

In the mean time, I am putting finishing touches on the construction, trying to make it more efficient and to reduce failure. This seems to take longer than I anticipated, but in some ways, the same methods is going to apply for a Western handle, so I hope it is time well spent.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I agree with Theory's theory. If the ferrule were just a tad bit longer it would look more balanced. It's fantastic though. So clean, simple, and elegant. Do you buff these? The metal on there is shiny as heck.

I tried a longer ferrule and didn't like it as much as a shorter. D hanldes are a little shorter in length than octagonal, and longer ferrule seems to stand our more on D.

Yes, tips and spacer are polished and buffed.

M

this (or a tiny bit longer) would be the preferred ferrule length on my custom:

Quote Originally Posted by daddy yo yo View Post
    this (or a tiny bit longer) would be the preferred ferrule length on my custom:

Yup, that's what I'm talkin' about!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

It's a bit different with a metal tip. The length of the ferrule +tip is the same as the length of horn ferrule in the picture above.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Yup, that's what I'm talkin' about!
    +3

I think with the metal tip + spacer and the shorter ferrule, the overall appearance is a shorter ferrule that looks too short. Adding the tip and spacer should either add to the length of the handle, making it a tad longer overall (which isn't a bad thing) or take the extra length out of the wood handle (which may make it look too short, so it may have to be a longer handle).

? - why does a D handle have to be short than an octagonal handle? There's not much worse in a handle than one that's too short, both aesthetically and functionally.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Sure thing, I have no problem adding to the ferrule's lengh if you guys like it better.

I don't know why, but oversize octagonal looks better than oversize D.