Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Evolution of a D Handle

Beautiful work, very elegant.

absolutely digging on the D handle. very elegant.

Thanks, folks.

Some people express preferences for both: tip and a spacer, some for tip only, so I will play by ear and for custom knives, of course, this will be a preference.

In the mean time, I am putting finishing touches on the construction, trying to make it more efficient and to reduce failure. This seems to take longer than I anticipated, but in some ways, the same methods is going to apply for a Western handle, so I hope it is time well spent.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I agree with Theory's theory. If the ferrule were just a tad bit longer it would look more balanced. It's fantastic though. So clean, simple, and elegant. Do you buff these? The metal on there is shiny as heck.

I tried a longer ferrule and didn't like it as much as a shorter. D hanldes are a little shorter in length than octagonal, and longer ferrule seems to stand our more on D.

Yes, tips and spacer are polished and buffed.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

this (or a tiny bit longer) would be the preferred ferrule length on my custom:

Quote Originally Posted by daddy yo yo View Post
    this (or a tiny bit longer) would be the preferred ferrule length on my custom:

Yup, that's what I'm talkin' about!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

It's a bit different with a metal tip. The length of the ferrule +tip is the same as the length of horn ferrule in the picture above.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Yup, that's what I'm talkin' about!
    +3

I think with the metal tip + spacer and the shorter ferrule, the overall appearance is a shorter ferrule that looks too short. Adding the tip and spacer should either add to the length of the handle, making it a tad longer overall (which isn't a bad thing) or take the extra length out of the wood handle (which may make it look too short, so it may have to be a longer handle).

? - why does a D handle have to be short than an octagonal handle? There's not much worse in a handle than one that's too short, both aesthetically and functionally.
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Sure thing, I have no problem adding to the ferrule's lengh if you guys like it better.

I don't know why, but oversize octagonal looks better than oversize D.