Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolution of a D Handle

How do you think it would look with a piece of your 52100 ? With patina

Thanks folks, I appreciate your comments and support.

I am not a masochist, really, just this construction is more of a logical step given the materials available. The unfortunate side effect - it takes more effort to make.

A spacer could be added, though personally, I like the handle without it. DT mokume tip will be lightly etched and over time it will age very nicely. I suppose, I could add brass to the list metals to choose the tip from.

The minor changes I made to the D design were to address the comfort of a handle-grip, as well as a transition between a handle-grip to a pinch-grip.

I decided to replace the handle of a pass-around gyuto to the updated one (knife is with me at the moment), so I can gather more feedback. Planning on dropping it off with Son on January 2.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by wino View Post
    How do you think it would look with a piece of your 52100 ? With patina
    It should look pretty good. I found that pork fat and juices bring the most vibrant patina on 52100. Onions don't even come close.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    It should look pretty good. I found that pork fat and juices bring the most vibrant patina on 52100. Onions don't even come close.

M

mmmmhhhh, pork fat.

I love my Marko D handle. Nice work Marko.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    mmmmhhhh, pork fat.
    I've got a chunk of mortadella in the fridge. Now if someone could send me a MT suji, I'd be happy to start on that patina for them. Might take quite a long time though.....

Yes, yours was the forebear to this one.

i will have a bottle waiting.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Marko, what does a D handle do for you that an octagon or western "Coke bottle" handle does not?

D gives me the best control out of three, but I pinch grip.

I can appreciate why you had to come to this conclusion - it makes sense, and I think it's a elegant way to deal with the situation. I have to say, though, I prefer the horn bolster.

Question - do you have nay taper to your D handles, or are they level from back to front?
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements