Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolution of a D Handle

How do you think it would look with a piece of your 52100 ? With patina

Thanks folks, I appreciate your comments and support.

I am not a masochist, really, just this construction is more of a logical step given the materials available. The unfortunate side effect - it takes more effort to make.

A spacer could be added, though personally, I like the handle without it. DT mokume tip will be lightly etched and over time it will age very nicely. I suppose, I could add brass to the list metals to choose the tip from.

The minor changes I made to the D design were to address the comfort of a handle-grip, as well as a transition between a handle-grip to a pinch-grip.

I decided to replace the handle of a pass-around gyuto to the updated one (knife is with me at the moment), so I can gather more feedback. Planning on dropping it off with Son on January 2.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by wino View Post
    How do you think it would look with a piece of your 52100 ? With patina
    It should look pretty good. I found that pork fat and juices bring the most vibrant patina on 52100. Onions don't even come close.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    It should look pretty good. I found that pork fat and juices bring the most vibrant patina on 52100. Onions don't even come close.

M

mmmmhhhh, pork fat.

I love my Marko D handle. Nice work Marko.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    mmmmhhhh, pork fat.
    I've got a chunk of mortadella in the fridge. Now if someone could send me a MT suji, I'd be happy to start on that patina for them. Might take quite a long time though.....

Yes, yours was the forebear to this one.

i will have a bottle waiting.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Marko, what does a D handle do for you that an octagon or western "Coke bottle" handle does not?

D gives me the best control out of three, but I pinch grip.

I can appreciate why you had to come to this conclusion - it makes sense, and I think it's a elegant way to deal with the situation. I have to say, though, I prefer the horn bolster.

Question - do you have nay taper to your D handles, or are they level from back to front?
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements