Quantcast
Evolution of a D Handle - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Evolution of a D Handle

All my handles are tapered back to front on all four sides, plus a taper at the ferrule.

I have used horn up to this point, however, blackwood polishes to just a notch below horn, and if a handle is made of natural woods, the movement of blackwood is comparable to the wood the handle is made of, while horn moves at a different rate.

I will add that this design has grown on me substantially. I have three more handles in works, so hopefully pics of these will do the handle a better justice.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    mmmmhhhh, pork fat.

I love my Marko D handle. Nice work Marko.

k.
    I agree with mr drinky. Marko's D handle is extremely comfortable and controllable. Aesthetically though, I lean towards the use of a spacer as it provides what I think is a nice contrast between handle and ferrule. The use of an end cap would busy that up a bit, but if the proportion between the spacer and the end cap works I think the use of a spacer still makes aesthetic sense. Either way, Marko's handles are top notch.
    Last edited by Dream Burls; 12-31-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typo
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Uptothehilt View Post
    I agree with mr drinky. Marko's D handle is extremely comfortable and controllable. Aesthetically though, I lean towards the use of a spacer as it provides what I think is a nice contrast between handle and ferrule. The use of an end cap would busy that up a bit
    this is so my opinion. me too, i am afraid that this additional end cap is just too much. so, my dream handle from marko would have a spacer, black horn ferrule, but no endcap.

+1. I like what you've done but something in me still prefers the more classic look.

Stick with the classic look if you want to be like everyone else. Personally I love the look. It makes a statement. " I'm better than the rest".
    Plus it really anchors the balance point.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    Stick with the classic look if you want to be like everyone else. Personally I love the look. It makes a statement. " I'm better than the rest".
    Plus it really anchors the balance point.
    I am glad you liked the new look. I think in terms of elegance, the new look is at least as good as old, the metal on metal makes a cleaner connection (besides improving balance), and adding a spacer is an option.

I won't turn down a request for the classic look, but it would have to be a wood ferrule instead of horn (ebony or blackwood) and I would need to protect the end-grain of the ferrule, to assure the longevity of the handle. I have heard that stabilizing blackwood is possible, so I might be looking into it.

I need to finish a couple more and post better pictures of the handles!

M

Marko, If mark doesn't have it, Chuck at Alpha will occasionally have some stabilized blackwood blocks. With that said, it is probably a wood that needs and benefits from stabilizing the least. It may also be the oiliest wood that you can actually stabilize.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I am glad you liked the new look. I think in terms of elegance, the new look is at least as good as old, the metal on metal makes a cleaner connection (besides improving balance), and adding a spacer is an option.

I won't turn down a request for the classic look, but it would have to be a wood ferrule instead of horn (ebony or blackwood) and I would need to protect the end-grain of the ferrule, to assure the longevity of the handle. I have heard that stabilizing blackwood is possible, so I might be looking into it.

I need to finish a couple more and post better pictures of the handles!

M

Anything that could reduce the movement of blackwood or ebony would be of a benefit when you use a metal spacer or a tip. I have heard K&G can do stabilizing, so I am going to send them some shortly.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    ...need to protect the end-grain of the ferrule...
    I do find that blackwood tends to be kind of brittle. If the ferrule has to be blackwood, I'd definitely opt for the metal cap.

I had some snakewood and blackwood that was stabilized by K&G. Short-term I did not really see much of a difference, maybe that is something that will have benefits over time, not sure.

Stefan