Salt and oil storage?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsy9977

Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok so I need to know what u guys use?....what do u store your salt in?....right now I just use a small ramekins on my cutting board next to thestove.....I like the idea of having something a little fancier.....I love my salt .....I hate those salt pig things because my fat fingers don't fit in them.....so what does the masses use?

Also where do I get one of those really cool copper oil kettles like the guys in the Italian pizzerias use?....with the really long spouts?.....I have always wanted one....I have seen a few thru google but none of them look like the authentic ones I've seen....Ryan

I always just tear the top off of my box of Morton's Kosher:D It gets a little rough once it get towards the bottom though, kinda turns into a raccoon trap...

At work it's a shallow six pan, at home I use a wooden salt box.

I use these little plastic containers from the dollarstore that have a small handle on the side and a thumb-flippable lid. Big enough opening to reach in and pinch out the salt. I use the same thing for sugar and starch. I shove a teaspoon measuring spoon into each one as well for those times when pinching isn't called for.

for oil, i use a wine bottle with a spout but when i need to store it, i just stick a cork in it. great for olive oil since they like being in darker bottles, less rancidity for long storage.

salt? salt is salt to me, in a big plastic container where i can open and stick my hand in when i need to season something and easily resealable. i also include a bag of silica gel in there to keep it dry if things get moist.

the exception for special salts, of course, i like to keep them in their original containers for "flashing them around" lol.

Five salts, five ramekins - a big one for Kosher, smaller ones for sea, pink, red and black. What I need is a new pepper mill. I buy EVOO by the gallon and decant into a smaller bottle.

For salt, we use sugar bowls, both next to the stove and on the dinner table. Gotta be alert for guests spooning Morton's Kosher into their coffee. :no:

Cool bottles for various oils would be nice, but for now they stay in their original containers.

This that I got a SLT a while back. I also have another one I use for fine sea salt that I bake with.

IMG_20121230_110659.jpg

IMG_20121230_110708.jpg

I use the same one from slt for my kosher salt. I have big hands and can reach the bottom easily.

Back