Quantcast
Msg - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Msg

Glutamic acid is everywhere just like sugar, salt, etc. The problems happen when we purify them and subsequently OD on them. A touch of MSG is like putting a little soy sauce on something. A lot of MSG will cause some sort of physical response. Whether you notice it and whether you think it's uncomfortable is something else.

In a local context (Singapore - tons of asian cooking, especially chinese and hawker fare), it is overused. Loaded up and abused almost everywhere.

Strangely, the common response from non-allergic people is a strange kind of thirst that settles in shortly after the meal that hits the back of the throat. That gets attributed to the msg content of the food, and well, from a personal level I feel more or less the same way. It doesn't go away with a quick drink after the meal.

You don't get it eating chinese at the homes of friends as typically home cooks here avoid the stuff.

I have no hangups, but I try to avoid it. I like subtle flavours that you work harder for, not instant fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    In a local context (Singapore - tons of asian cooking, especially chinese and hawker fare), it is overused. Loaded up and abused almost everywhere.

Strangely, the common response from non-allergic people is a strange kind of thirst that settles in shortly after the meal that hits the back of the throat. That gets attributed to the msg content of the food, and well, from a personal level I feel more or less the same way. It doesn't go away with a quick drink after the meal.

You don't get it eating chinese at the homes of friends as typically home cooks here avoid the stuff.

I have no hangups, but I try to avoid it. I like subtle flavours that you work harder for, not instant fixes.
    I agree with the thirst going on. And yes it gets abused heavily. At home, it can easily be substituted out for something else like fish sauce, soy sauce and the like.

I avoid it. I understand intellectually that it's harmless, but I was raised always being told MSG is to be avoided and that it's a shortcut only cheap places use (and abuse).

If I want to up the umami in my food when I cook, I'll add in natural ingredients that have it - or at least as natural or as traditional as I can get. If I'm buying packaged food items, I look on the label for MSG or hydrolyzed proteins of any kind. I would literally lose respect from friends and family if I deliberately used MSG or something loaded with it.

I accept that this is both a cultural thing and a personal preference. I see packs of pure MSG crystals at local markets, so I know it's being used pretty widely.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    I don't, but I am absolutely not against MSG. msg got a really bad rap, which was unfounded.

Tell that to my brain when it goes numb after eating large amounts of it or to my wife after she gets a migraine from it. I've seen and experienced enough anecdotal evidence of its effect to conclude that the studies about it were skewed or poorly constructed.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

My mom and a good friend are both what I call "MSG guinea pigs". Maybe canaries would have been a better analogy One gets serious headaches from MSG, the other feels a little queasy. Both feel the effects pretty quickly. I just get the typical post-MSG thirstiness.
    Len

Why add msg when most soy, hoisien, oyster, fish, etc sauce already have a small amount?

I dont like the taste or the after taste of msg. Thus i avoid all those chicken soup powders and Hondashi.

+ Reply to Thread