Quantcast
Msg
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Msg

Msg

Other than myself, does anybody else use this in thier cooking sometimes?

I don't, but I am absolutely not against MSG. msg got a really bad rap, which was unfounded.

I'm just a home cook and don't use it, but I do find the story behind it fascinating. Mmhhh, processed umami.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

i dont stock it or use it regularly, my friends who are Peruvian love it, when I worked with them we would use it all the time. I agree it has a bad rap, IIRC no major studies have found any evidence that it had any actual negative side effects. People told they were eating MSG but were not experienced more side effects than those who did have MSG and didnt know.

I don't! I just don't see the need.

Why do you cook with MSG at home?

The problem, BTW, with MSG is not that people are allergic to it, its that it encourages people to over-eat. It stimulates your brain in such a way that your ability to monitor hunger can take a backseat to the pleasure ride that is concentrated glutamic acid. It's not just a flavor enhancer, it is a neurostimulant.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    I just don't see the need.
    My favorite Thai cookbook calls for MSG in quite a few of the recipes, and having cooked a number of them both with and without MSG I gotta say it does make a difference (in my experience). However, given the nature of the product (it's bad rap, mostly), I don't cook with it professionally.

...also, this thread is, for some reason, making my mouth water.

I use it a lot while working in the chinese kitchen. At home I usually substitute good quality light soy sauce, fish sauce(nam pla) or parmesan cheese for MSG. Not opposed to it though and I usually keep a small container of it at home. The thai dishes will benefit from some fish sauce, light soy and tamarind paste as substitutes if you'r not a fan of msg

I just like what MSG adds to some dish's in terms of flavor and umami, I had no idea it was also a neurostimulant and am very interested in learning more about that. I do not belive there are any neagtive reasons for using MSG personaly I have no reaction to it and do not use it everyday or in everydish.

I was just looking through a Food & Wine and saw a burger recipe where they talk about using 'umami dust' on the burger. I'd never heard of umami dust before, but it is apparently going to be marketed by Umami Burger in the near future. The recipe for it is:

* Use a spice grinder to pulse 3 tablespoons bonito flakes, 1/2 ounce crumbled dried kombu, and 1/2 ounce dried shitake mushrooms into a powder.

It is sort of like a powdered dashi seasoning, but I find it interesting that MSG has been rebranding itself as "umami seasoning" after MSG's fall from glory. Maybe we will start to see a variety of new-and-improved umami seasonings like the burger 'dust'.

Here is the recipe from F&W:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/u...rt-and-stilton

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

+ Reply to Thread