Hello from Northern California

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a home cook... as in I do all the cooking but also a knife nut. Over the years I've been mostly into folders but realize that the knives I spend the most time with thoughout the day are my kitchen knives. Love to experiment in the kitchen and have recently started focusing on sauces.

Back to the knife side of things. Right now my three primary knives are customs and not really traditional. I have a Michael Kaiser in 154CM, Landi in 1095 (Sandoku/chef cross), and a Menefee paring. The Landi is my go-to knife and very easy to keep crazy sharp with minimal work. All of my knives have a 30 degree Edge Pro profile and I touch up at 40 degrees inclusive for a micro-bevel. Probably not the sharpest edge but it takes abuse and is easy to maintain.

I'm really starting to look at branching out into Japanese knives now that my skills are progressing.

Tom

Thanks everyone. I'm in Folsom CA which is close to Sacramento. Oh, and yes I do have cleavers. I have a growing vintage collection from Briddell, Foster Bros, etc. Not exactly slicers but they sure make short work of hard chopping duties. I'm redoing an 8" Foster Bros with a new micarta handle and general clean-up.

Thanks everyone. I'm in Folsom CA which is close to Sacramento. Oh, and yes I do have cleavers. I have a growing vintage collection from Briddell, Foster Bros, etc. Not exactly slicers but they sure make short work of hard chopping duties. I'm redoing an 8" Foster Bros with a new micarta handle and general clean-up.

Cleavers are people too ;)

Back