Knives are a bargain

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucretia

Reaction score
So we're going through and cleaning out the house, and came across some old towels that I'd gotten back in the early '80s. They were printed with a cartoon that was popular at the time, and they've just been sitting in the back of the closet for years. Really way past time to get rid of them. Since people collect this kind of crap, I put some up on eBay for kicks. And sold a 30-plus year old, used beach towel. For more than $100. I am absolutely flabbergasted at the things people spend money on. Makes a custom knife, with hours of labor and fine materials, seem like an outright bargain.

You mean you sold the towel for an Ealy parer, right? :D

I'm just amazed that someone would pay this kind of money for an old used towel that might have cost $8 brand new, and they'll balk at spending more than $20 for a knife. :scratchhead:

it has been stated here before but in relation to various enjoyable collecatable things knives ARE relatively cheep. and you get a "lifetime" of enjoyability out of them. being a chef the easy things to compare it to are wine and cigars, both one and dones and you can spend a lot on these. then you look at musical instruments, guitars and the like and your way over the price of damascus gyutos and it just goes up from there. cars, boats, motorcycles, art, old toys, its amazing what people will spend the 500-2000$ mark on, and most knives top out before 2K ... when you look at the overall collection price, knives are kinda easy to do. and we are sooo friendly. my neighbor never offered to let me drive his 289 shelby cobra. :-( but ive driven 3x more knives than ive ever owed! :)

It is as bad or worse over on the non-kitchen side. Guys will spend big bucks on a gun and drop less than $20 on some knife out of a plastic display case at WalMart or Home Depot. At least the high end kitchen knife people should be able to sell to the yuppie d-bags who spend $12k on a range that they will rarely if ever use.

It is as bad or worse over on the non-kitchen side. Guys will spend big bucks on a gun and drop less than $20 on some knife out of a plastic display case at WalMart or Home Depot. At least the high end kitchen knife people should be able to sell to the yuppie d-bags who spend $12k on a range that they will rarely if ever use.

You've discovered Bob Kramer's market.

LOL. The stove top prop crowd? My brother has actually suggested selling to the local Tampa Bay d-bag crowd and going the extra mile by offering monogramming. The most it would cost would be $30-40 for a stencil from Ernie Grospitch assuming he would only do one name per sheet and who knows what those folks might pay for that.:lol2:
You've discovered Bob Kramer's market.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Its always interesting, to learn how, a person comes to value an item. Was it something from child hood? Something that made them laugh? Did they have to work hard to be able to buy the first one?

Jay

Guess I need to start selling my junk instead of giving it away.

Ehh, but then I have to take pics, upload them, list them, answer inquiries and ship it.....

Jay, unfortunately, in most of the collectable world, it has become a matter of how people see these items as an "investment".
One man's trash is another man's treasure. Its always interesting, to learn how, a person comes to value an item. Was it something from child hood? Something that made them laugh? Did they have to work hard to be able to buy the first one?

Jay

Back