Quantcast
How Do You Like Your Tip? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Like Your Tip?

Tips like the one the Hennicke knife don't work well for me. Have to elevate my wrist and arm that much to get the tip down to the board, feels unnatural. I think the tip on the Haslinger knife would be awesome on shorter lengths knives (ie. paring or petty) for removing fruit stems and such. Not sure why it's needed or desirable on longer knives.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Yeah, I didn't care about the Hennicke tip, and I agree with johndoughy that to use that tip would require some very unnatural elbow room.

But what do you guys think about really pointy tips? I think this Haslinger knife is really beautiful (and reasonably priced), and I would consider buying it. But I would also worry about that tip.

I like my tips blunter so I don't have to worry about breaking them or poking something. Btw, this is nothing against Haslinger's work; I really like his knives, but some of his designs don't suit me.

k.
    my yanagi has a pretty freaking thin and pointy tip, and i've never damaged it (and that includes tripping and flinging it into the air and having it embed itself in my wood floor). i wouldn't worry about damaging it. now whether it would work for you, that's not for me to say. definitely a pretty knife, and i like the looks of that handle.

A friend of mine broke his tip on a Haslinger, so maybe I have that image in my mind. Regardless, I also have 'pointy' knives, but on workhorse knives, I like them less tippy. My yanagi will get much less use than my 240 Hiro.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

understandable.

I dunno, when I am working with the heel area of my knife, I like the clearance a wide blade offers. But toward the tip, I often wish it was thin like a suji. I would love to get my hands on one of those ultra-pointy Haslingers. Where's that passaround again?....

As for tips, I tend to prefer a tip that starts low with the spine running into it, as mentioned earlier. In general I like a bit less height at the tip (Sabs, Misono, Masamoto KS), but I find a tip is something that you "get used to" if it's a good design and it can trim out proteins.
    One tip that I really don't get is the Mac Original. What were they thinking??? (I still kind of want one).
    As for the passaround...I'll get back to you!
    PS. The Pierre pass around tip is kind of between tall and pointy, which makes the knife feel more "workhorse-y". At first glance i was unsure, but now it feels very natural and agile.
    What do you all think about the Moritaka gyuto tip? I've known a couple of people who find it too low, but I have yet to have the honor of using one.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    What do you all think about the Moritaka gyuto tip? I've known a couple of people who find it too low, but I have yet to have the honor of using one.
    It really doesn't seem that low on the 270mm. The 210mm a litttle bit, compared to a similar sized Carter funayuki.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Oh, you mean the tip of my KNIVES. I thought this thread was about something else....
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

Quote Originally Posted by FryBoy View Post
    Oh, you mean the tip of my KNIVES. I thought this thread was about something else....
    You mean like 20%?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Nah, he means a tip...

you know, like "Don't put all your eggs in one basket".

+ Reply to Thread