Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Like Your Tip?

How Do You Like Your Tip?

I was just looking at an Uli Hennicke knife and it had a sort of strange tip on it, which got me thinking about knife tips.

I can love almost everything about a knife, but if the tip is not to my liking, I often pass on it. I'll try different steels, wider knives, shorter knives, blades with a belly, but if the tip is not to my liking, it is usually a deal breaker.

Haslinger knives are a case in point. They are beautiful, but too pointed and 'tippy' for me. Does anyone else feel this way?

See Haslinger Knives

Or maybe I just need to open my mind a bit.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

It actually depends on which knife I'm looking at. I prefer my boning and fillet knives quite pointy tho not so for other knives.

That's true. I was thinking more along the lines of a gyuto. But I also like using nakiris without any tip. There is nothing to worry about with that blade.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

The gyuto in the pic is a little too pointy for my liking lol. Nakiris are great too tho I don't have 1. I use the chinese chopper a lot at home.

So it is just aesthetic sfere for you?
    Would admit that those kind of tips arent my favourite. Have a MAC damascus gyuto at work and the amount of belly there feels somewhat weird. I prefer more "traditional" - if there is something like that - shapes of gyutos.
    I wouldnt buy a knife with that but definitely would use one if it was near!

I prefer the spine to curve down to the edge (rather than the edge curving up to the spine as pictured).

The geometry of that knife just looks weird to me - way too much belly near the tip. Pass.

James

Yeah, that would require a LOT of elbow room to get to the tip of the knife...those kind of tips are only for knives that don't touch the board, IMO.

I like the kiritsuke tip. my main knife has this kind of tip and aesthetically it looks cool.

That would be an interesting thread.. how pointy is too pointy??

I believe it dependes on the knife.. I like parers, utility and other similar very pointy... maybe even Suji's but chefs, debas, kiri's, etc. not so much.

I can go with a pointy kiritsuke as long as it's pulls up a bit at the end.. I am looking at my Watanabe and to me its the perfect combination of Geometry and pointiness... ness!!!

Yeah, I didn't care about the Hennicke tip, and I agree with johndoughy that to use that tip would require some very unnatural elbow room.

But what do you guys think about really pointy tips? I think this Haslinger knife is really beautiful (and reasonably priced), and I would consider buying it. But I would also worry about that tip.

I like my tips blunter so I don't have to worry about breaking them or poking something. Btw, this is nothing against Haslinger's work; I really like his knives, but some of his designs don't suit me.

k.