Quantcast
Smoothing Lodge Cast Iron - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smoothing Lodge Cast Iron

After a couple weeks of daily use all my lodge pieces are just as user friendly as my vintage stuff. I find the fat used has more of an effect than the surface texture. I'm also rather happy to take the new lodges off peoples hands at yard sales for a couple bucks apeace

Bikehunter, that's great to read. I'm a fan of Lodge and that just makes them even more appealing to everyone else!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

heard that lard works best on cast iron pans.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    Just for fun, since I was curious, and needed a little late lunch anyhow, I used my 8" Lodge cornbread pan and tried it with a couple of eggs, for a sandwich. Used a half teaspoon of butter and two eggs. They came out of that pan beautifully, without a trace of sticking. I found it just fine with no sanding. So much for the criticism of that pebbled finish.
    that would really depend on how you like your eggs, though.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    that would really depend on how you like your eggs, though.
    For a sandwich I just break and spread the yolk with spatula, turn once and cook until just cooked through. If you like well done scrambled, sticking could be a problem, I suppose, but I don't care for overcooked eggs in any style.

This may be slightly off topic, but has anyone tried the new Lodge steel pans. They have the same seasoning, but I wonder if a smooth finish would be better.

Crisco SHORTENING seems to work well too. Oil, not so great.
    Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    heard that lard works best on cast iron pans.

I've owned & used Lodge from 20yrs+ (ago) construction and loved this stuff even though it came not so well finished or as smooth as the vintage Erie, Griswold, & Wagner stuff did. A few years ago I decided to add some pieces to my collection and bought the new pre-seasoned stuff and can honestly say this stuff sucks in comparison to my older Lodge pans. For starters the pans are much rougher inside and grab hold of many food stuffs but the worst part is that the pre-seasoning seems to keep a more permanent seasoning from taking hold. I've sanded one pan to smooth and re-seasoned it and the new seasoning only takes on the high spots, where there is lows (voids in casting) the new seasoning flakes. I have 3 or 4 (I think 4) of these new pre-seasoned pans and I hate using them yet my older Lodge pans keep on trucking along. I should also mention that I've tried just about every trick in the book with seasoning the new pans and all fail. Funny thing is that the outsides of the new pans are super black and shiny though - they look better than my older pans do.

I'm buying vintage pans from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I've owned & used Lodge from 20yrs+ (ago) construction and loved this stuff even though it came not so well finished or as smooth as the vintage Erie, Griswold, & Wagner stuff did. A few years ago I decided to add some pieces to my collection and bought the new pre-seasoned stuff and can honestly say this stuff sucks in comparison to my older Lodge pans. For starters the pans are much rougher inside and grab hold of many food stuffs but the worst part is that the pre-seasoning seems to keep a more permanent seasoning from taking hold. I've sanded one pan to smooth and re-seasoned it and the new seasoning only takes on the high spots, where there is lows (voids in casting) the new seasoning flakes. I have 3 or 4 (I think 4) of these new pre-seasoned pans and I hate using them yet my older Lodge pans keep on trucking along. I should also mention that I've tried just about every trick in the book with seasoning the new pans and all fail. Funny thing is that the outsides of the new pans are super black and shiny though - they look better than my older pans do.

I'm buying vintage pans from now on.

One exception is my pre-seasoned Lodge - that thing rocks - it seasoned black and smooth almost instantly - go figure?!

Sounds like you all need some girlfriends that like to hit up auctions. I hate that **** but got myself a whole set of 100yr old wagner ware long after I got rid of which ever girl that was lol. 100 is just a guess by her..but still works great.