Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smoothing Lodge Cast Iron

awesome~ thanks bros for the info. i might have to experiment myself. i'm glad that others have tried.

for the most part as long as i heat the pan properly and put enough fat in everything is great.. but i keep wondering if it would be better if i sanded atleast one of my lodge's down for a trial.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    heard that lard works best on cast iron pans.
    Best for cooking or seasoning?

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    Best for cooking or seasoning?
    C. All of the above?

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    I use bacon grease for seasoning and cooking....and sometimes butter.

C. All of the above?
    afaik yep!

Butter, bacon drippings, and duck fat out perform all other fats I have with peanut oil doing ok and olive oil causing the most sticking issues. I don't mind cooking in olive oil but have to really watch my heat to keep stuff from sticking.

Quote Originally Posted by andygraybeal View Post
    awesome~ thanks bros for the info. i might have to experiment myself. i'm glad that others have tried.

for the most part as long as i heat the pan properly and put enough fat in everything is great.. but i keep wondering if it would be better if i sanded atleast one of my lodge's down for a trial.
    Did you ever try it?

-AJ

I read this article about seasoning with flaxseed oil a while ago. Has anyone tried this? I've been meaning to give it a shot but I have a Griswold and a Lodge that I like the seasoning on and I cant bring myself to strip them and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by Basecadet View Post
    I read this article about seasoning with flaxseed oil a while ago. Has anyone tried this? I've been meaning to give it a shot but I have a Griswold and a Lodge that I like the seasoning on and I cant bring myself to strip them and start over.
    ^^THIS!

my wife loves me and bought me a bottle of expensive flaxseed oil TO EAT! i used it on my new to me griswold. it works too well. you have to wipe on the thinnest coat and probably let it heat up with the pan upside down to allow it to drain. it will build up a thick coat if you dont. i went too thick and had to heat if off and start over.

i did it to all my older lodge pans before i gave them away. this is the best method ever..well the best after the "bacon everyday method".

Lots of pseudo-science there though I have no doubt that the flax seed oil works well. I've always seasoned my pans on the gas grill around 600 degrees and that works well.

Ignore her page of black rust. Cast iron does not rust like steel does.

-AJ