Quantcast
what am I missing from the range?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what am I missing from the range?

what am I missing from the range?

ok so I have...

70mm Hattori paring
    190mm carter wa-bucho
    240mm hiromoto AS gyuto
    240 tojiro DP gyuto
    210 tojiro western deba

I also have a warther 5" boning and 3" paring.

I just ordered a new paring knife (the hattori) and am currently trying to decide on the next knife. I use the carter as its so thin for the bulk of veg tasks, so dont really want to go down the nakiri route yet.

So thinking either a honesuki (i do a lot of chicken breakdowns and the WD isnt great for trimming) or a smaller petty for the paring tasks that the 70mm might be a bit short for and could double up for chicken/meat trimming/boning knife duties?

I'd be interested to hear from honesuki owners how much they use it and have they found sharpening difficult with the single bevel?

i'd say 270mm suji and 150mm petty.

a petty would be really be more versatile and work well enough with breaking down of chicken. but if you really want a honesuki, go right ahead. =D

+1
    You may do all butchery with ANY thin knife. The French use a désosseur which is thin and a little flexible.
    The Japanese approach of the honesuki has probably more to do with the harder steel the Japanese are used to.
    The honesuki is not single bevelled. It has a double bevel, very asymmetric though. The left face has no concavity but is flat, except for the tiny bevel. Very easy sharpening: you sharpen the right bevel and deburr the other one.

Cooking at home? Then you dont need anything, you just want something

Petty is a nice addition, but maybe after purchase you would realize its having same funcionality as the carter, and that maybe you like higher heel better?

Slicer? You have a bread knife already?

yep just a home cook.

I'm gonna pick up one of these as a slicer/bread knife. I had a global before, I found the teeth a bit severe so It ended up with my mum lol

I don't really slice up large enough things for a suji to be honest, a gyuto chops brisket or chicken pretty easily so I think one of these could double up the odd time.

So petty it is...

I was thinking 120mm as a larger paring knife, as 150 seems very close to the carters role...

get the tojiro ITK bread knife if you want a bread knife. but i tend to just use my chef knives with slicing through bread, they're sharp enough to cut through anyway.

personally, get the 150mm petty still coz it's sort of like a honesuki minus the triangular shape, same length and more use it out it. the carter would be feel a little too long for me for breaking down chicken.

i only added the suji coz eventually you'll find an excuse to get a 270mm slicer anyway. lol.

you'll get to a point that you'll wanna add practically any knife you fancy with this addiction. =D

Let me know if you want to borrow a petty/honesuki/hankotsu to see what type suits you best.

hankotsus are more for beef, pork, or any non-feathery type meats though.

Quote Originally Posted by playford View Post
    yep just a home cook.

I'm gonna pick up one of these as a slicer/bread knife. I had a global before, I found the teeth a bit severe so It ended up with my mum lol

I don't really slice up large enough things for a suji to be honest, a gyuto chops brisket or chicken pretty easily so I think one of these could double up the odd time.

So petty it is...

I was thinking 120mm as a larger paring knife, as 150 seems very close to the carters role...

Hehe yes the Global bread knife is crazy. And the weird flat edge... Not my favourite

Take a cheap petty, Fujiwara from JCK is very cheap yet decent, and for 30 quid you get a chance to check whether you like it.

TB, I might borrow that 150mm FH petty you bought to see if I like the size or If I should go down to the 120mm smaller size.

+ Reply to Thread