what am I missing from the range?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

playford

Reaction score
ok so I have...

70mm Hattori paring
190mm carter wa-bucho
240mm hiromoto AS gyuto
240 tojiro DP gyuto
210 tojiro western deba

I also have a warther 5" boning and 3" paring.

I just ordered a new paring knife (the hattori) and am currently trying to decide on the next knife. I use the carter as its so thin for the bulk of veg tasks, so dont really want to go down the nakiri route yet.

So thinking either a honesuki (i do a lot of chicken breakdowns and the WD isnt great for trimming) or a smaller petty for the paring tasks that the 70mm might be a bit short for and could double up for chicken/meat trimming/boning knife duties?

I'd be interested to hear from honesuki owners how much they use it and have they found sharpening difficult with the single bevel?

i'd say 270mm suji and 150mm petty.

a petty would be really be more versatile and work well enough with breaking down of chicken. but if you really want a honesuki, go right ahead. =D

+1
You may do all butchery with ANY thin knife. The French use a désosseur which is thin and a little flexible.
The Japanese approach of the honesuki has probably more to do with the harder steel the Japanese are used to.
The honesuki is not single bevelled. It has a double bevel, very asymmetric though. The left face has no concavity but is flat, except for the tiny bevel. Very easy sharpening: you sharpen the right bevel and deburr the other one.

Cooking at home? Then you dont need anything, you just want something ;)

Petty is a nice addition, but maybe after purchase you would realize its having same funcionality as the carter, and that maybe you like higher heel better?

Slicer? You have a bread knife already?

yep just a home cook.

I'm gonna pick up one of these as a slicer/bread knife. I had a global before, I found the teeth a bit severe so It ended up with my mum lol

c735.jpg

I don't really slice up large enough things for a suji to be honest, a gyuto chops brisket or chicken pretty easily so I think one of these could double up the odd time.

So petty it is...

I was thinking 120mm as a larger paring knife, as 150 seems very close to the carters role...

get the tojiro ITK bread knife if you want a bread knife. but i tend to just use my chef knives with slicing through bread, they're sharp enough to cut through anyway.

personally, get the 150mm petty still coz it's sort of like a honesuki minus the triangular shape, same length and more use it out it. the carter would be feel a little too long for me for breaking down chicken.

i only added the suji coz eventually you'll find an excuse to get a 270mm slicer anyway. lol.

you'll get to a point that you'll wanna add practically any knife you fancy with this addiction. =D

Let me know if you want to borrow a petty/honesuki/hankotsu to see what type suits you best.

hankotsus are more for beef, pork, or any non-feathery type meats though.

yep just a home cook.

I'm gonna pick up one of these as a slicer/bread knife. I had a global before, I found the teeth a bit severe so It ended up with my mum lol

c735.jpg

I don't really slice up large enough things for a suji to be honest, a gyuto chops brisket or chicken pretty easily so I think one of these could double up the odd time.

So petty it is...

I was thinking 120mm as a larger paring knife, as 150 seems very close to the carters role...

Hehe yes the Global bread knife is crazy. And the weird flat edge... Not my favourite

Take a cheap petty, Fujiwara from JCK is very cheap yet decent, and for 30 quid you get a chance to check whether you like it.

TB, I might borrow that 150mm FH petty you bought to see if I like the size or If I should go down to the 120mm smaller size.

i have a 135mm petty and i find it lacking in length for my needs.

=D

I just bought an FH Honesuki as it was in uk and a good price lol

I think it might be best to have a play with the new 70mm paring and the 160 honesuki and just see what tasks im finding awkward and design a larger paring/petty around that.

IMG_0366_800x600.jpg

IMG_0369_800x600.jpg

Just paid for this from a guy over on KF. I can't wait to get a go at breaking down some chickens. :)

I had that same knife forms while, until it was stolen. Loved it! Will need to pick one up again. Used for chickens, ducks, other large poultry, but found it was also great for all smaller proteins, and was my favorite shrimp devaining knife. Actually, most nights it was a nice line knife when I was covering for cold side. You'll be very happy. It's takes a scary sharp edge, and holds it well.

too bad they don't do lefty versions of the knife =(

I've a 210mm tojiro western deba as well, so these two will be the gruesome twosome for breakdowns and general meat prep hopefully.

cparing2.jpg

oops, just bought this 115mm carter paring.

I've not bought a knife in 5 years and in a total state of relapse have bought this month so far....

a forum FH paring
a FH honesuki
a carter 115m paring.

Honestly this is a disease and your people are enablers lol.

cparing2.jpg

oops, just bought this 115mm carter paring.

I've not bought a knife in 5 years and in a total state of relapse have bought this month so far....

a forum FH paring
a FH honesuki
a carter 115m paring.

Honestly this is a disease and your people are enablers lol.

Yeah, Ive been getting a lot worse lately.

If you do any chance of getting a pic of the tang? Have had one on the to do list for a while

Cheers that'd be great, being a half tang I keep wondering the best way to go about it

Funny tonight, I was breaking down a whole chicken to breasts off the bone and legs and thighs and wings.

I ended up doing it with my carbon opinel pocket knife..lol quite funny how easily I had it all broken down and joked to my gf about that I'd just bought new knives to do this.

I think my opinel was less than £10.

butch did another one for me, basically he got a block and sliced into it, rather than scales, then the block is shaped to a handle, I remember him saying murray sure doesent leave much metal lol

It's the end to the slot that has me a bit more puzzled, thinking small slitting saw in the drill press and being really careful

I'm trying to remember was it stefan who bought butch a saw to do his carters first. Ask butch, im sure he'd help a brother out.

p1030027hw9.jpg

it was stefans butch did... just found the pics.

Latest posts

Back