Quantcast
Hops n Hogs
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hops n Hogs

Hops n Hogs

We had a family style dinner and beer pairing this past sunday at the restaurant I work at. We called it "Hops n Hog" and it was a pig roast with beers from Dogfish Head Brewery. Here was the menu and beer pairings:

To Start: "Aprihop" American IPA brewed with apricots, 7.0% ABV

First Course: Stonington Fluke Crudo; Beet puree, pickled golden raisins, lemon juice, chives. With "Raison d'etre" Belgian style brown ale, 8.0% ABV

Main Course: Eaglewood Farms Suckling Pig; raised on momma's milk, brewer's grain, and veggies.
    Sauces: Honey Siracha, Citrus Coriander, Power's BBQ.
    Sides: Grilled Asparagus with pickled Ramps, Roasted Rosemary Fingerling Potatoes, Ancho Braised Collard Greens, Baked Beans, Fiddleheads and English Peas with Celery Root Puree.
    With "Red & White" Oak aged belgian style wit; brewed with fermented pinot noir juice, 10.0% ABV and "90 Minute IPA" Imperial IPA, 9.0% ABV

Dessert: Farmhand's Ice Cream Cone. J. Foster's Vanilla Ice Cream, maple bacon cone, caramel. With "World Wide Stout" Stout brewed with barley, 15-20% ABV.
    Some pictures:

Chef Sean on the grill:

Chef Power on the grill:

Fiddleheads:

Our GM Spiro making sure beer is okay:

We used Ball canning jars as beer mugs:

One of these is sitting in my fridge at home. Scared the **** out of my girlfriend when she went snooping to find something to eat!

the simple fact that you guys have dogfishhead glasses makes me happy... the pigs are just icing on the cake. Seriously, dogfishhead is my hands down favorite american brewery.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    the simple fact that you guys have dogfishhead glasses makes me happy... the pigs are just icing on the cake. Seriously, dogfishhead is my hands down favorite american brewery.
    Thanks. I am not an IPA man myself, some seem to just be hoppy and bitter for the sake of being hoppy and bitter, but there are a few I find quite good. So Dogfish's lineup is a little IPA-heavy for my tastes, as a Brewery as a whole I prefer Brooklyn. All of their regular brews are fantastic, and they have some "limited edition" barrels that have made their way to some of the bars I frequent.

The Wit Bier with pinot noir was one of the best belgian "whites" ive ever had.

Nice! We are going to a 'snout to tail' dinner tonight. We're looking forward to some nice pig. I hope it turns out as well as what you have posted here!

have you tried 3 Floyds, Jon? i was of the same opinion until i went to the 3F brewpub. they finally started selling the bottled stuff in my area, to boot.

anyway, looks like that was a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    have you tried 3 Floyds, Jon? i was of the same opinion until i went to the 3F brewpub. they finally started selling the bottled stuff in my area, to boot.

anyway, looks like that was a lot of fun!
    no... where are they located? I'll have to check them out

There are beers out there I prefer over Dogfish Head's, but you can't go wrong with them either! Those pigs look great. I have to admit though, that the things that made my mouth water the most were the fiddleheads and ramps on the menu--I love those little things!

no... where are they located? I'll have to check them out
    North Indiana, so a way away from you. their distribution is limited, but it shows up in weird places. thousands and thousands of people show up every year for the unveiling and distribution of their very limited Dark Lord, which is a pretty epic imperial stout. i'd take it over Tactical Nuclear Penguin and Sink the Bismarck, for sure, but i didn't like either of those beers (or anything else, except real cask paradox smoke head, that brewdog makes), so it's an easy choice. if you like hoppy beer, 3F is your brewery, though they don't only make hoppy beer.

Maybe shoulda called it Hogs and Dogs? Holey shirt, tho, some amazing stuff there!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

beer and pork...looks like a great sunday!