Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A towel is the most massively useful thing an interstellar knife enthusiast can have

Question A towel is the most massively useful thing an interstellar knife enthusiast can have

At least, that's the advice from the Guide to the Galaxy, more or less, with a little adjusting to fit. The question is... what KIND of towel?

Now, before one of you Admins moves this to the Off-Topic room, this is actually a serious knife-related question. Everyone agrees that carbon knives should be (washed and) dried after each use, but no one says what to use for that all-important task. What difference does it make, you ask? Well, if you were afflicted with the pathetic excuses for toweling that seem to be all that's available in my area, having driven all the useful towels into exile, apparently, you would not ask such silly questions.

Now that I am no longer affiliated with any restaurants and, therefore, persona non grata at my local supply store, I find myself stuck with an assortment of essentially useless cloths that seem to actively repel water, rather than absorbing it. So, where does a non-professional find decent, absorbent kitchen towels, these days? Preferably without spending a fortune on them. It seems like such a simple thing, but it's trickier than one would expect.

Paper towels. not being cheeky either. I have very expensive knives that I grind a re-etch myself. I wouldn't trust any cotton, poly, etc to dry them after washing. They also have the advantage of being cheap so you can use oil with them as well which I wouldn't want to use with cotton.

Ikea has good kitchen towels in various sizes that actually absorb instead of simply spreading liquid around, for next to nothing.

I like linen. They seem to be much better at absorbing water.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

I use the Fukin that Jon sells. I picked one up because they were cheap and I actually like them. Before that I used a Tenugui that I got from Watanabe but it is kind of scratchy on some of the softer stainless cladding. What I do not like are those micro fiber towels, they repel water and leave little fuzzy things all over the place.

paper towels do work well but my wife finds buying them to be wasteful, the same reason we use cloth napkins.

Quote Originally Posted by K813zra View Post
    paper towels do work well but my wife finds buying them to be wasteful, the same reason we use cloth napkins.
    Ah, so she likes using the limited clean drinking water on laundering additional items. And releasing more detergent out into the water treatment plants, which results in more treatment chemicals being used.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Ah, so she likes using the limited clean drinking water on laundering additional items. And releasing more detergent out into the water treatment plants, which results in more treatment chemicals being used.

I never said we used clean water.

The Kohls brand has a line that is super absorbent. They're getting harder to find with them carrying all the food network heat embossed pattern crap.

Next time I place an order at JKI, I'm definitely planning on picking up at least one of his Fukin
    Also...I recall last year Maksim had a Towel Day Sale...maybe he'll do it again

You could try a nice waffle-weave towel from the rag company. I use them for drying my car after a wash. Super absorbent.

https://www.theragcompany.com/waffle-weave/

Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/