kanji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotchef38

Reaction score
Happy New Year to everyone.I have been buying a few old knives with a view to restoring them and some have kanji marks which I cannot identify.It seems to be a fairly common request so I thought it mightbe a good idea to start a library of known knife makers and their kanji marks.My thinking being that amongst all the members here we would have a fairly large range of different knives.?What do youthink?

That is a great idea. I have a few recent antique mall scores I am having issues identifying.

If you guys (or any member) wants to take pictures we can start a kanji library in the Knife Knowledge section. Maybe we can even talk one of our Japanese speakers/readers to post a typed out version of the kanji for search engine use too?

I like the idea and will help however I can.

If you guys (or any member) wants to take pictures we can start a kanji library in the Knife Knowledge section. Maybe we can even talk one of our Japanese speakers/readers to post a typed out version of the kanji for search engine use too?

I like the idea and will help however I can.
Thanks Dave,I have been trying to post a couple to get the ball rolling but I cant seem to attach an image.Help?

I'll try to start this off with a few...kikuichi

P1020665_zpsb5ad22db.jpg

tojiro

P1020664_zps748b3690.jpg

mizuno (white 2)

P1020663_zpsb64fec96.jpg

Maybe we can even talk one of our Japanese speakers/readers to post a typed out version of the kanji for search engine use too?

Do you mean like this?

Masamoto - 正本
Sugimoto - 杉本
Tojiro - 藤次郎

If that's what you're referring to, I can help a bit.

I can help with kanji too! but I'm slow typer, I'll post some if I got time......

Maker:
Aritsugu - 有次
Fujiwara Teruyasu - 藤原照康
Glestain - グレステン
Heiji Nakaya - 平治中屋
Honsho-Kanemasa - 本匠兼正
Kikuichi - 菊一
Masahiro - 正広
Masamoto - 正本
Misono - ミソノ
Nenohi - 子の日
Shigefusa - 重房
Sugimoto - 杉本
Tadatsuna Ikkanshi - 忠綱一竿子
Takeda - 武田
Tojiro - 藤次郎
Watanabe - 渡辺

Steel:
Shirogami - 白紙 - White Steel (Literally "white paper", from the white paper label on the steel)
Aogami - 青紙 - Blue Steel (Literally "blue paper", from the blue paper label on the steel)
Aogami Super - 青紙スーパー

Knife Type:
Gyuto - 牛刀
Deba-bocho - 出刃包丁
Menkiri-bochoi - 麺切包丁 (Noodle)
Nakiri-bocho - 菜切り包丁
Sashimi-bocho - 刺身包丁
Santoku-bocho - 三徳包丁
Sujihiki-bocho -筋引包丁
Usuba-bocho - 薄刃包丁
Yanagiba-bocho - 柳刃包丁

thanks! Yamabushi, that's nice! no need to typing all the way.... if any one needs more information about J- knife type please check HERE
Knife Type:
Gyuto - 牛刀
Deba-bocho - 出刃包丁
Menkiri-bochoi - 麺切包丁 (Noodle)
Nakiri-bocho - 菜切り包丁
Sashimi-bocho - 刺身包丁
Santoku-bocho - 三徳包丁
Sujihiki-bocho -筋引包丁
Usuba-bocho - 薄刃包丁
Yanagiba-bocho - 柳刃包丁

well that just confirmed my santoku to be an aritsugu kyoto. =D

Glad to see this is paying off already! Maybe once the list gets built up a bit this can become a sticky or get moved to the Kitchen Knife Knowledge section?

Glad to see this is paying off already! Maybe once the list gets built up a bit this can become a sticky or get moved to the Kitchen Knife Knowledge section?

+1 =D

Mizuno is 水野. I can't make out the 4 small kanji at the top, but the bottom three are 源昭忠, which says, "Source Akira Tadashi".

Interesting, bought from JCK as Mizuno and box says Akitada which is I assume is the Akira Tadashi. I'm confused (nothing new about that) though I do like the knife :O

Interesting, bought from JCK as Mizuno and box says Akitada which is I assume is the Akira Tadashi. I'm confused (nothing new about that) though I do like the knife :O

Sorry for not being more clear. Yes, your knife is a Mizuno. It's normal for Mizuno knives to not have Mizuno written on the blade. I was just adding some detail about what is written there. You can see that better here: http://www.mizunotanrenjo.jp/

more kanji...
there are few points I need to mantion:
*most Kanji on blade is not maker's full name, mostly just maker's Family name or first name. I only type the Kanji show on the blade
*most Kanji on blade include words like "made by", "specially made", " register by", "place made" etc. those Kanji is not in this pose list!
*some knife makers have different Kanji on different Series knives
KKF members who have more j-knives knowlage( Jon & sara from JKI, Mari from Korin, Maxim from JNS etc..) than me, You are more than welcome to correct any mistakes in the list!!
I hope these will help....:)

Sakai Yusuke- 堺 佑助
CCK(Chan Chi Kee)-陳枝記
Keijiro Doi -醉心 疾風
Yoshikane- 吉兼
Moritaka- 盛高 or 金鋼兵衛源
Tanaka- 誠貴
Konosuke-幸之祐
Takeshi Saji-佐治 武士
Suisin- 醉心
Akifusa- 旦房
Teruyasu Fujiwara- 藤原 照康
Tsukasa Hinoura-司作
Korin(house brand)- 光琳
kochi(JkI house brand)-東風
Gessing(jki house brand)-月心
Hide-英
Yoshiaki Fujiwara(Kato) - 藤原 良明
Takamura Suminagashi- 高村

Great stuff guys, keep it coming.

I'll prune and clean up this thread and move it to the Knowledge forum once it's done.

Yep, nice one, Charles! If people can post makers not yet shown, photos of the the writing on their knives, or anything else they'd like the kanji for, that can help us flesh out the list.

IMG_3298.JPG

out of curiousity... Anyone recognize this maker? white paper one... second kanji is somewhat generic and I can't seem to figure out what the first kanji is supposed to be. I've had this one for awhile now but never figured out who made it.

and just as a bit of an addition...
Keijiro Doi -醉心 疾風 >> The kanji actually just reads suisin-shippo/hayate. Keijiro's symbol is the diamond emblem placed on the back. The reason I highlight this is because this line is no longer made by Keijiro. It is now produced by his son, but is still called 疾風. Only the diamond kanji on the back has been changed to be Itsuo's kanji instead of the diamond.

Thanks... I think you correct in that the character is the same as that in Togiharu, however, actually another member has helped remind me of where I got this.

I believe this was a purchase from Kamata in Tokyo, and seems to be a house brand. It would explain why Yamabushi saw it in Kappabashi.

http://kap-kam.com/

also, while I am here, a couple of examples of the kanjis on knives members can use for ref:

Masamoto Sohonten (left) vs Tsukiji Masamoto (right)

DSCF0879.JPG

Aritsugu Kyoto (left) vs Aritsugu Tsukiji (right) - actually think you can't easily tell these apart. Whited out part covering an engraving I had added so as not to distract.

DSCF0880.JPG

Ichimonji Chuki

DSCF0843.JPG

more to follow...

Back