Quantcast
regrettable knife purchaces
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: regrettable knife purchaces

regrettable knife purchaces

OK I'm not trying to knock any 1 knife, but trying to find from the experienced what knives have been less than desired once in hand. I try to feel in hand, a knife before purchasing but have come across very few. Maybe from location standpoint but I'm working with what I got

The first I have is the Boker damast santoku which I can't find anything to do with but maybe break chickens down ?
    http://www.amazon.com/Boker-Damast-B.../dp/B001VISS86

And the second is the Shun DM0765 ham/salmon slicer
    I just don't need to slice ham or salmon that way.

What got me thinking about this was the thread on Shun alternatives. I'm glad it came around so now I have a base on low cost, intro carbons out there. Thanks

really only one... years ago i bought a "custom" moritaka.

well i don't know if i really regret it... it certainly gave me the opportunity to learn a few things. also prices have gone up so much on knives since i bought that one; the money spent doesn't seem as bad.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    I regret purchasing my first Takeda 270mm from that one website. After that I have lost all hope of even going back to being not broke.

Globals.

both the paring and the G2, paring didnt suit my hand at all and the gyuto just had no weight in the handle.

Yes to the global, ive got a g3 that i never use and cant really do much with, too light and not very tall, also too flexible, its my loaner knife and everyone that uses it thinks im a good bastard for lending them such a nice knife. I had a gf33 which was actually not bad.

I have a Victorinox ceramic santoku which has a missing tip and a few chips, only lasted a few months, sits in my kit, have only used it once in the last 8 months.. waste of money.

I regret knives i didn't buy more than knives i did!
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    I regret knives i didn't buy more than knives i did!
    +1, bad memories

Overpaid for my first gyuto which, unfortunately, also has granton cullens. It's also a little bit of overkill for me at 300mm, so I don't use it much. I don't totally regret the purchase, but it still hurts a little to think of the hefty sum that I paid for it.
    Len

Once you venture into the world of knut, you will try many a knife to find your perfect cutter. We've all had knives that were far less than perfect. They become learning tools that teach us the nuances we strive for. No regrets....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

My xerox ceramic petty. Used it once, been back in its packaging since, three years ago. Now that I think of it, I should PIF to one of my guys
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck