regrettable knife purchaces

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumblinman

Reaction score
OK I'm not trying to knock any 1 knife, but trying to find from the experienced what knives have been less than desired once in hand. I try to feel in hand, a knife before purchasing but have come across very few. Maybe from location standpoint but I'm working with what I got :)

The first I have is the Boker damast santoku which I can't find anything to do with but maybe break chickens down ?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VISS86/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

And the second is the Shun DM0765 ham/salmon slicer
I just don't need to slice ham or salmon that way.

What got me thinking about this was the thread on Shun alternatives. I'm glad it came around so now I have a base on low cost, intro carbons out there. Thanks :hungry:

Last edited by a moderator:
really only one... years ago i bought a "custom" moritaka.

well i don't know if i really regret it... it certainly gave me the opportunity to learn a few things. also prices have gone up so much on knives since i bought that one; the money spent doesn't seem as bad.

I regret purchasing my first Takeda 270mm from that one website. After that I have lost all hope of even going back to being not broke.

Globals.

both the paring and the G2, paring didnt suit my hand at all and the gyuto just had no weight in the handle.

Yes to the global, ive got a g3 that i never use and cant really do much with, too light and not very tall, also too flexible, its my loaner knife and everyone that uses it thinks im a good bastard for lending them such a nice knife. I had a gf33 which was actually not bad.

I have a Victorinox ceramic santoku which has a missing tip and a few chips, only lasted a few months, sits in my kit, have only used it once in the last 8 months.. waste of money.

Overpaid for my first gyuto which, unfortunately, also has granton cullens. It's also a little bit of overkill for me at 300mm, so I don't use it much. I don't totally regret the purchase, but it still hurts a little to think of the hefty sum that I paid for it.

Once you venture into the world of knut, you will try many a knife to find your perfect cutter. We've all had knives that were far less than perfect. They become learning tools that teach us the nuances we strive for. No regrets....

My xerox ceramic petty. Used it once, been back in its packaging since, three years ago. Now that I think of it, I should PIF to one of my guys

I dont think I have any real regrets. I have had less favorites, but that is all along my path to finding my perfect gyuto. I think the one I was most disappointed with was my newly aquired Masamoto KS, they have just been the talk of the town for so many years and have been very highly regarded, but....I am really not a fan. It works okay, but no where near as well as other less touted knives. I think my other disappointments were Carters, IMO price per inch they just don't stand up to their reputation.

Knives that I bought before finding the forums and learning a lot:

300 Shun vg10 yanagi - I'd love to sell it and buy myself a nice yanagi (or something slightly less embarassing), but I did such a bad job of sharpening before I knew how to sharpen, that rehabilitating it is taking a very long time.

240 Mac 'damascus' gyuto - flat ground, 'damascus' clad moly, with the most belly I've ever seen on a gyuto. (shudder). Frankly the profile of a wusthof. My beater now, one day I'll give it to an apprentice who has their heart set on rock-chopping for the rest of their lives.

My first j-knife was a kasumi santoku, which I engraved my name into, so it wouldn't get stolen at trade school. Regrettable engraving, I'm kind of stuck with that one now.

I also think I regret not embracing carbon knives sooner, I have a lot of stainless and semi-stainless in my kit that i like but don't love.

I don't think I regret any. At one time, I did but at this point, I feel like I can take any hunk of decent steel and turn it into something I like to use. Once I work on them enough, they become a little like children... Like kalaeb said, it's a journey.

Several but if nothing else it's a learning experience.

I think the good thing about the knives most of us buy is that they are highly re-sellable so if you regret something you'll get most or all of your money back. I don't regret any purchases, even the knives I didn't like helped me to clearer see what I want and don't want

I don't regret buying any, but I do own several that if I could do it over again I wouldn't buy again. But I will continue to keep them and use them to better understand what I like and don't like in a knife, eventually I might sell them but its too much of a hassle for me to do now.

Missed a few by umming and ahhing, only real regret is an itou- most uncomfortable handle in the world. It'll get some nice wood on it one day but even then not sure if I'm a fan of the rough Damascus. I also have an usuba that is a bit warped that laughed at my attempts to sharpen before I figured out why. But that had a learning curve to it so less of a regret.

I like the whole "part of the journey" thing. I do have a couple of knives that I don't use that were custom purchases. I bought them because I thought that they were what I was looking for, only to find that I was wrong about what I wanted. Or, they were what I wanted at the time and I have moved away from the profile or geometry, steel, etc. I just wish this refining of my wants hadn't come at the expense of my checkbook!

Mine are ones I didnt buy, like a re-handled bread knife mhenry sold around xmas a year ago, wish I grabbed that one badly.

Most all my knives are carbon some I've liked more than other's.I bought a Masahiro clad cleaver.said forge welding a high carbon steel between two layers of stainless.It was not the high end Masahiro,but it was not cheap either.79.00 for the light cleaver.It had an uncomfortable small western style handle(I'll take the cheap chinese round handle anyday).When I sharpened it,did a back bevel & final bevel,started using it,chipped like crazy.Thought maybe my bevel was too thin so put a wider bevel,still chipped with hardly any use.I am a huge fan of Japan blades,but my cheaper CCK's put this piece of junk to shame,maybe I just got a lemon.

He closest I can come to a regret is my 240 Mac; not bad - it just happened to be followed so closely by mu first custom that it became obsolete really quickly.

No purchases I regret.

Now sales I regret, on the other hand...

:angryspin:

Still think about a Watanabe 330 suji and a Konosuke 330 takohiki I should have kept...

Stefan

Damn dude, that sounds sexy! I can see why you bought it :)

Haha bought it because it was on clearance and I needed a bread knife quickly it was before I got into knives and even at a huge discount it still is a terrible knife

Back