Quantcast
Suji dilemma: need some experienced advice
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suji dilemma: need some experienced advice

Suji dilemma: need some experienced advice

Ok, after spending way too much over the holidays, I've readjusted my "needs" and decided to scale back my purchase of a new suji from the $300 range to the $200 range.

The contenders are now kikuichi carbon ($150) and Hiro AS ($225) both 270's.

Questions for those of you who've used them:
    Which is the better cutter, geometry, profile?
    Is the Kikuichi really as good as they say?
    Is there anything other the Hiro does better (other than look badass when thinned and patina'd along the edge) than the Kikuichi for the extra $$$?

What would you guys do? I just need a quality suji for portioning, trimming meat and fish, and slicing of cooked protiens. I teach, so no serious production volume these days.

Kikuichi is just fine, gets sharp, passable fit and finish, can take a beating. Hiro AS probably is a slightly better cutter with better edge retention, but not sure it warrants the extra $75. Hiro will probably hold more resale value than the Kikuichi. You may be able to pick up something used here at a discount if you can wait.

Thanks PB,
    I'm surprised to hear that you think the Hiro cuts better. I keep reading such praise for the Kikuichi carbon that I guess I was expecting the opposite. Maybe it's just that its very good considering how cheap it is?
    It probably says something that you don't see too many used Hiro sujis for sale, and the ones that do come up go quickly...

I'm not in any real rush, and I always keep my eye on the BST forum.

It's not that the Kikuichi is bad; it's actually quite good for the money. The Hiro is better, but its 50% more in cost, so you would expect something for your money. But is it 50% better?

I found the kikuichi carbon 270 handle to be small. Even with a rehandle, it still felt like a petty handle. It was ok otherwise. Not sure how much better it was than a Fujiwara carbon at half the price, though....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Are you open to other knives ?

What about carbonex or suisin inox western.

the kikuichi F&F is not the best

I agree with eaglerock, a co-worker has a kikuichi and the f&f was poor, this coming from a guy with more than one Tijiro IDK knives. I was in the same situation recently, and ordered a CarboNext. Price is similar, with a much better reputation.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

I order a carbonext a few months back, great knife, good f&f and jck is a joy to work with, plus their 3 day shipping from Japan for 7 bucks doesn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by pitonboy View Post
    The Hiro is better, but its 50% more in cost, so you would expect something for your money. But is it 50% better?
    So if you buy custom for 1000 will it be 400% better than Hiromoto??

OP, what you are going to use this knife for? Slicing meat/fish only?

For 200 dollars, theres pretty many choices, very well made handle on Misono Swedish, overally very nice knives for good money.

Thanks for all the input.
    I looked at CarboNext, but I was under the impression that the Kikuichi was a better knife, so CarboNext took a back seat.
    Haven't looked at Misono Swedish, I've read that they're very reactive, any truth to that?
    Or any other suggestions anybody wants to throw out there are cool.

And any more first hand comments on Hiro are welcome.

+ Reply to Thread