Looking for a chef's knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gka_76

Reaction score
Ok, trying to follow the directions for clues on what type of knife to get. Here goes

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
Chef's knife 7-8 inches. I have a 6 inch that I like because it's light but I don't think it's big enough. I don't really want anything larger than the 8" one I have either. I especially like that the 6" one is very thin, because it's stamped. It's a cheap chicago cutlery one, but I keep it sharp and it is light. The 8" is a shun.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
looking for a thinner knife than my shun. Not replacing anything.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics-I like the damascus blade on my shun, I really like the handles and bolster on the sabatier olive handle paring knives I have.
Edge Quality/Retention-I like the edge on my thinner knives, that might just seem sharper because they're newer and thinner.
Ease of Use-
Comfort-

What grip do you use?Pinch

What kind of cutting motion do you use?Usually rocking

Where do you store them?magnetic holder

Have you ever oiled a handle?
No
What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?
Walnut, plastic
For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
honing steel
Have they ever been sharpened?
Yes
What is your budget?
350$ but it better be a pretty special knife for that
What do you cook and how often?
I cook daily, lots of different things from BBq to Asian
Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?
I like japanese blades, not sure about keeping up the different style of sharpening. Would love a wood with some character. I think I'd prefer a western style handle. I like the Kramer knives at slt and the miyabi series seem good in the store. I think I could do better for the prices though.

Back