What kind of Belt Grinders do you guys have?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andygraybeal

Reaction score
I've gotten my eyeballs oogling a Burr King 960-272. It'll be two years before I can afford it. If I can save consistently & cut back on my expensive beer habit, I might be able to have it.

What do you guys have (for use with knives particularly) ??

Andy

Variable speed KMG and a Jancy Radiusmaster. Still have a 2 x 42 Craftsman around somewhere,

Palmgren 2 x 42 inch belt grinder though I have been using the 1 inch wide belts. Will be trying the 2 x 42 inch belts in future. Normally use the 220 grit adn 1,000 grit belts. Like it as the center portion ( flat piece ) can be adjusted.
essential for some convexity grinding. Another feature I like abt this machine is the auto tracking on belts ( always dead center)

Recently i bought the 4 in x 30 inch grinder ( china made). this wld be great for small wood working esp handle makers as the flat surface is not adjustable. THus I only have a small area to work with.. near the rollers to work on the edge and spine.

Great for removing dings, rounding of spine and tip of bolster problem and general steel removal on the edge when needed.

Dream Grinder.. the 72 inch belt grinder that allows you to change the platten
Have fun..

I use my buddies KMG to do most of the work but clean everything on an old 6x48 Craftsman Sander.

Two burr kings and a tw 90 and two 9 inch disk sanders

image_13143_zps6766a0fb.jpg
[/IMG]

These are on sale now for $60 at HF so I bit the bullet and bought one two weeks ago. Before I was using a large delta stand belt/disc sander and this is slower and allows a little more precise work. This is by FAR not a top of the line product, but not the worst for starters. The rpms are 1080 for the belt and 1800 or so for the disc from what I read in the manual.

Name Combination 4" x 36" Belt/6" Disc Sander
SKU 97181
Brand Central Machinery

image_13143.jpg

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7R2ektOEbo8WEFOeW9JUEVGNTQ

open

Palmgren 2 x 42 inch belt grinder though I have been using the 1 inch wide belts. Will be trying the 2 x 42 inch belts in future. Normally use the 220 grit adn 1,000 grit belts. Like it as the center portion ( flat piece ) can be adjusted.
essential for some convexity grinding. Another feature I like abt this machine is the auto tracking on belts ( always dead center)
Zitangy,
Something like this?
http://www.palmgren.com/product_info.php?products_id=184

It's $200. That sounds like I can afford that soon enough.
Is it slow RPM or variable speed?
Andy

Something like that usually runs pretty fast, single speed. The Craftsman version does, at least.

check out wilton grinders and wayne coe's grinders. I have a wayne coe disc grinder with variable speed and reverse, and a grizzly 2x72.

I use a variable speed KMG, a craftsman 1x42 and a variable speed 9" disc with interchangable plates. Will soon be adding a TW-90 and maybe a horizontal 2x72 also

Mike, doesn't the TW-90 go horizontal too? Or would you get a dedicated horizontal for the extra efficiency?

That's how you use the surface grinding attachment on a TW-90. I'm not sure it has the "flatbed" feature of the purpose built horizontal grinders like the KMG.
Mike, doesn't the TW-90 go horizontal too? Or would you get a dedicated horizontal for the extra efficiency?

Sorry, forgot to add yhe 5hp 3x132 that is almost done. That one will be a hogger :)

image_13143_zps6766a0fb.jpg
[/IMG]

These are on sale now for $60 at HF so I bit the bullet and bought one two weeks ago. Before I was using a large delta stand belt/disc sander and this is slower and allows a little more precise work. This is by FAR not a top of the line product, but not the worst for starters. The rpms are 1080 for the belt and 1800 or so for the disc from what I read in the manual.

Name Combination 4" x 36" Belt/6" Disc Sander
SKU 97181
Brand Central Machinery

image_13143.jpg

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7R2ektOEbo8WEFOeW9JUEVGNTQ

open

I have one similar , it doesnt have the disc sander cause that one wasnt on sale when I went haha so I got the cheaper version.
Simple 1x30 belt and 3400 rpms , its tiny but a beast!! I think it was only $30 bucks too!!:happymug:

the tw90 can be set up with a flat grinding attachment and work rest or with a small wheel and workrest in the horizontal mode

Sorry, forgot to add yhe 5hp 3x132 that is almost done. That one will be a hogger :)

What in the name of bananas! I've been dreaming of such a thing for a long time. It would be extremely awesome if you found a way to get it water cooled. That would be some serious grinding.

Actually, it will have water cooled platens. I plan on doing a 15 inch long platen, as i find myself always wanting a longer platen on my KMG. Also working on a 36" diameter platen.

Mike, did you get the cooler from Nathan? I have it, the flat, 36 and 72 and just order a "lengthwise" 72. I am talking with him (and getting some input from Ray Kirk, Toni Oostendorp and others who do a lot of integrals) about seeing if we can come up with an integral grinder that sits on top, but has the platen adjustment and the small wheel setup like Uncle Al's machine without the "high sides" to the platen slot and the $675 price tag.
Actually, it will have water cooled platens. I plan on doing a 15 inch long platen, as i find myself always wanting a longer platen on my KMG. Also working on a 36" diameter platen.

I like the idea of the 72 veetical, but if. you are planning in single bevel stuff, you might want to consider 36 or 48. 72 i dont think will be deep enough for urasuki. Still an intriguing idea :) i am also interested in seeing the integral platen...pics :) Shooting to have the 3x132 done within the nezt two weeks

Yeah, I just did a knife with a 72 grind and it is pretty subtle. I have the regular 36 platen, so if Nathan does a few more, i will get one of those next round.
I like the idea of the 72 veetical, but if. you are planning in single bevel stuff, you might want to consider 36 or 48. 72 i dont think will be deep enough for urasuki. Still an intriguing idea :) i am also interested in seeing the integral platen...pics :) Shooting to have the 3x132 done within the nezt two weeks

So I recently inherited a house from my father, which was my grandparents house before that. In the basement is an old lathe, and at the end of the lathe is an odd belt sander. Took me a while to find the attachment, but the lathe powers the sander. Kinda crazy to explain, so I shot a short video to show it in action.

[video=youtube;IyNMdtfbb0s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyNMdtfbb0s&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I haven't used it yet, because I just found that attachment for it today, but my grandfather used to sharpen lawnmower blades and scissors and whatnot as a second job way back when. Gonna play with it sometime this week, using some old beater knives I have around the house.

Wow. That is quite something!

Haha, it's definitely unique. :)

Anybody have a link to somewhere that would have all the belts I would need? I've searched around a little myself, but I'd like to find someplace reputable. Not sure what's what as far as that goes.
The old ones I found in the basement are 1x44. I can use 42" if I don't use the wheel in the middle/back, and possible using all three wheels if I take the vertical backing plate off.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Latest posts

Back