Newbie sharpening satisfaction

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbob

Reaction score
I just want to say for anyone a bit hesitant to hand sharpen, using an edge pro or similar, or sends their knives away to get sharpened, (which are all fine), have a crack! Ive only just started and after watching jons videos a few times have got great results. I started on my global with the magic marker trick and was so happy went straight to my hattoris for a touch up. I found it got me "closer" to the blades and really understood more their geometry and character. Hugely satisfying, and not as hard as you might think, i strongly reccomend. Enjoy

+1

I'm still a beginner, but one will stay that way until one puts the work in...gotta get there one session at a time!

Good encouragement Getting good at sharpening is all about practice - so get to sharpening and you'll get better. Yeah you'll still screw up but that's all part of learning. :)

Congratulations! There are few things more satisfying than to accomplish something useful with one's hands. :thumbsup:

I've been sharpening for about a year now, and I mean real sharpening, not just what I thought I was doing on my oil stone, and still get excited when I get a great result. And everything it gets better and better. Keep it up, the learning/mistakes are part of the fun IMO

I'd like to join the chorus here too. Although in a previous life as a shipwright I've had to professionally keep an enormous variety of tools sharp, knives were never really part of it. Just had my first proper session on a carbon steel Toriro. It didn't really need it but as I was doing some other knives anyhow.....It's insanely, almost dangerously sharp. And that was just using my only stone, a 1200 King. Nothing wrong with a King by the way. It's pretty soft but with nearly 35mm thickness to play with it'll last years. Cuts like a demon. Just ordered a 5000 Suehiro Rika but I'm not really sure why!!! Actually decided that I might need it for the back of an usuba I've also just ordered. I can't even imagine how sharp that one's gonna be.

But if you've got any inhibitions about sharpening.....lose'm and get cracking! You can't really go too far wrong. As far as I'm concerned it's all about sharpening....the knives are incidental....almost!

Yeah, I scared Im gotta cut off my fingertips again...*yikes* I folled directions and went after Rika went to #10,000, then back to Rika, my knives are sharper than I ever got them back from the sharpening dude whom I used to go to. Lame, and first time was the charm.

Back