Beer, beer, beer!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
That got your attention? :wink:

Well, I grew up with German beer, became a wine drinker - and still enjoy them a lot - but with the climate in Hawaii, a nice cold beer is often the best choice. So, I started exploring beers again and just wanted to see what your favorites are. Can't hurt to get recommendations. I am open to pretty much everything, generally prefer strong hops, like a lot of the IPAs. Rogue beers are my current go-to beers for treating myself. Not big on Wheat/Weizen beer, and I find that brewing beer with fruit should be punished with a public beating :wink: Other than that - what should I drink?

Stefan

i had a chocolate stout from rogue the other day... it was pretty testy. Maybe check out dogfishhead if you can and alagash. Both really great with a lot of tasty options.

I think circumstances will change your perception of flavour... similar to wine, they match certain occasions/food/people. The best example i could give is drinking Guiness from the can somewhere else than in Dublin, and then try it from cask in one of citys pubs. Its huge diff, makes you wonder why?
Could definitely recommend Singha from Thailand. Silky smooth but still packed with flavour and having some biterness. When lived there this beer would be my everydays bread and I never got bored with it. Chang is another decent one but more strong and characteristic flavour of herbs.
From Europe some should be easily available like Staropramen, Zlaty Bazant or Pilsner Urquell. Polish beer is tasty and rich in natural alcohol, i mean without added crap.
They will all be very bitter and somehow "sticky".

I don't know what distribution is like out there in the pond, but here are my top three brewery suggestions:
North Coast Brewing
Dogfish Head
Brewery Ommegang

Each of those establishments do justice to everything they make.

If you're digging Rogue (which I really enjoy as well) you will prolly like Lagunitas.

As far as brewing with fruit.... I used to feel the same way until Dogfish head changed my mind. The problem is that very few places are doing it right, so we try some crap attempt and then assume it's all bad. Reminds me of people who swear they hate wine, but have never had anything that didn't come from a jug or box. I was guilty here too until Dogfish' Midas Touch, then their Pumpkin ale. Ommegang's Three Philosophers is also a prime example of fruit done right with their sort of cherry lambic fusion.

Of course.... you can always start making your own! :) It's great fun.

Anything from Abita in Louisiana, they make a very hoppy IPA called Jockamo. And BTW their Strawberry beer is excellent, more subtle than the Belgian fruity beers.

If you're a Rogue fan you should get your hands on their Morimoto Soba Ale (not the Black Soba). A really unique flavor that finishes very clean. It's sometimes hard to find but definitely worth a try.

BrewDog is an awesome brewery in Scotland that loves to be on the cutting edge. If you like hoppy but would like to try try something a little different from the crop of IPA's that have become all the rage lately try their 5 A.M. Saint. It gives a nice shot of hops and a slightly bitter finish but cut with a little bit of sweet maltyness. Their Punk IPA is a more classic IPA. Good stuff.

Stone Brewing does a really cool thing every year with their Vertical Epic beers. Each year for the last - I forget, ten years or so - they came out with a different brew released on matching day, month, year combinations (6/6/2006, etc), ending on 12/12/12. You can still find the 9/9/09's and you might like that one. Another hoppy brown. The 10/10/10 is a really good example of a play on a Belgian, but from your description of what you like it sounds like Belgian's aren't your cup of tea.

By the way, has anyone in Florida been to Brother Tucker's in Pompano? One of the coolest little places I've ever been to.

I usually drink Asahi or Coopers.. A little Tsingtao if I want something lighter. For more 'fun' beers, I usually grab Archipelago as they have Asian herbs and spices infused in their beers.(screwpine and lemongrass any1?)

I drink beer like I do most things: As local as possible.

My brands are Shiner, Rahr & Sons, and Big Sky Brewery.

If you like chocolate notes, and a full bodied beer that's not meant to be consumed freezing cold, check out Moose Drool by Big Sky. Though I don't know what you can get out in Hawaii.

Moylan's "Hopsickle"
Avery Brewing "Maharaja"
Oskar Blues "Gubna"

Three big beautiful Imperial IPA's you should try if you can get your hands on them

Parkbrau Pirminator! A smooth helle bock with a kickass alcohol content.

Unfortunately, you can't get here - and they won't ship to the US (I tried). Been over thirty years since I've had one & I still miss it.

James

Hair of the Dog brewing from Portland, Or has some truly great beers. Right now my fridge has Lagunitas "Undercover Investigation Shutdown", which has a very nice balance of hop and malt. If you like IPAs, Ninkasi Total Domination is a good one, and if you REALLY like IPAs, Tricerahops Double IPA is just the ticket.

Spend some time fishing in Motana and really love the Pils from Bayern Brewery. I look forward to my trip up there so I can enjoy a cold one after spending the day on the water. I tend to drink Stone IPA as my daily libation. $26 a case at my local Costco.

Pesky

I'll throw in another vote for Lagunitas' Undercover Investigation Shutdown--it's very good, but awfully hard to find.

I love pretty much anything that Stone brews, especially their various double and imperial IPAs.

Founder's Dirty Bastard and Red Rye are both quite delicious.

Bell's makes a really nice seasonal called Oberon, whose arrival kind of marks the REAL beginning of spring/summer as far as I'm concerned!

And finally, Unibroue from Quebec makes some great Belgian style ales (with awesome lables). My favorites are Trois Pistoles and Don de Dieu.

Edit to add a German goody: Paulaner Salvator. Dark and delicious

Lots of Americans in here. Normally when I have this conversation, it's with Canadians. The result is there is normally a lot more talk about Ontario and Quebec micro brews. As always, I strongly recommend anything done by Unibroue out of Montreal. Mostly strong, dark, flavourful beers. I'm also a fan of Duggan's out of Toronto, but I doubt it's available outside Ontario yet.

On the IPA front, I'm attending the IPA challenge in Toronto next weekend. 26 craft IPAs face off in a bracket elimination via open balloting over the course of a weekend. Should be a blast.

http://caskdays.com/ipachallenge2011_round1.png

Fly out to Philly this Fri and come to the Grey Lodge Pub for Friday the Firkenteenth, they plan on tapping 24 cask conditioned firkins (40L keg) mostly local brewers. If anyone is in the Philly area this is the best beer bar in the city.

www.greylodge.com/fri13th.html

For beers I like Dogfish, Flying Fish, Bell's, Lagunitas, Brooklyn, Great Divide or whatever is seasonal from local sources. The Dogfish flavored varieties are really good and if you can get ahold of them give them a shot (the ones that were mentioned Midas Touch and Punkin Ale I also like Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy (lemon flavored) for hot days when mowing the lawn).

Lots of interesting beers here, I have to get a list on my phone so I can check back when I am in a shop...

Stefan

What the Firken?

I wish I could be there for that, sounds awesome!
Knock back a few for me. :beer:

fav IPA's:
Russian River Brewing - Pliny The Elder
Ballast Point - Sculpin

If you like smoked meat, try this smoked beer from Bavaria:
Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

fav IPA's:
Ballast Point - Sculpin

This man speaks the truth. Bear Republic's Racer 5 IPA and Firestone Walker's Union Jack are both great single IPA's that you might be able to find in Hawaii.

Yesterday 12:10 PMrsalumbides
fav IPA's:
Ballast Point - Sculpin

If you like smoked meat, try this smoked beer from Bavaria:
Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen
Drinking a rauchbier always makes me wish I had a nice piece of rye bread on the side. Liquid sandwich!

I just tried the English beer Bombardier, I was really impressed.

Just had a solid conversation with the owner of st Andre about knives. He's new to this world, but intelligent about the concepts and terms. The other half of the conversation, focused on beer, was interesting.

i drink mostly big beers (i drink water all day so i want theb good stuff when im not working )
wheyerbocker , dogfish head , troges, stone, avery,

i am lucky as i have a local pub with 35 taps adn only 2 of them are monster beers (bud lite and one other that rotates)
BTW easton PA is not far from the ECG and they have a saterday AM brew tour ( just saying )

Saw a couple references to Stone. I would like to add my support as well. Great brewery that takes beer seriously, while having a good time with it. My favorite is the Arrogant Bastard Ale. From the label:

This is an aggressive ale. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you’re mouthing your words as you read this.

At Stone Brewing, we believe that pandering to the lowest common denominator represents the height of tyranny - a virtual form of keeping the consumer barefoot and stupid. Brought forth upon an unsuspecting public in 1997, Arrogant Bastard Ale openly challenged the tyrannical overlords who were brazenly attempting to keep Americans chained in the shackles of poor taste. As the progenitor of its style, Arrogant Bastard Ale has reveled in its unprecedented and uncompromising celebration of intensity. There have been many nods to Arrogant Bastard Ale…even outright attempts to copy it… but only one can ever embody the true nature of liquid Arrogance!

Stone brewery has a number of beers that I'll go for regularly (Russian Imperial stout when it's in season), and I've been to the brewery in San Diego.

Ommegang 3 philosophers is a standard celebration beer for me and some friends.

Celebrator from Ayinger is a good doppelbock IMO. Corsendonk is a nice Belgian once in a while.

Anyway, I don't usually go in for lighter tasting beers, and am not really a fan of IPAs.

Dos Equis Amber when I'm out. Shiner Bock draught if there is no Dos Equis. Tsingtao and Sapporo are good. Anchor Steam on tap is good.

My favorite so far is Full Sail Amber.

After reading the replies I think I need to join a beer tasting club!

David

I am lucky enough to live within 20 minutes of Three Floyds Brewery, which is easily my favorite. My buddy recently went to Dark Lord day and I was able to score a bottle from him.

Back