New member: Suji advice wanted

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapnKick

Reaction score
Hey all, I am a longtime spectator in this forum, and finally joined and am now writing my first post. I am a very enthusiastic home cook with excellent knife skills (for a home cook but not a chef) and a keen knife obsession. I'm looking for a suji in the 240mm-270mm size range. Definitely want a carbon blade as I love patina but I don't yet own a carbon knife. Other details below. Happy to read another post if someone can point me in the right direction.

What type of knife(s) do you think you want? suji 240-270mm. Maybe a Masamoto HC or Misono Sweden, but open to recommendations.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing? I will be phasing out a Henckles pro S

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- want high carbon, love patina
Edge Quality/Retention- I want thin and something with high sharpness potential
Ease of Use- don't mind sharpening, but want something that will attain a very sharp edge
Comfort- bigish hands, want a comfortable European handle

What grip do you use? slicer grip generally for this knife, with index finger along top of blade

What kind of cutting motion do you use? slicing
Where do you store them? in-drawer knife block

Have you ever oiled a handle? yes

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? boardsmith maple
For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? ceramic honing rod for lesser knives, just getting into whet stone sharpening

Have they ever been sharpened? yes

What is your budget? unlimited, although don't think i should need to spend >$250-300

What do you cook and how often? I cook/slice everything, daily

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)? Japanese, comfortable handle

You may go, very seriously, for the Fujiwara FKH, thin, relatively stiff. Holds a great edge once you've removed the factory one. Costs some $75. Of course a Misono Swedish or a Hiromoto AS will be great.
By the way: go for a 270mm. The longer, the better, but you don't want too much flex nor a thick one.

Yoshikane V2 270mm suji from Maxim is a beast :D

Misono dragon is a very good choice too :)

Thanks for the great advice everyone - sounds like I really can't go wrong with these suggestions!

Will do a little comparison research and see where I end up.

Latest posts

Back