Howdy from central Indiana

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkdrummer88

Reaction score
As we say in the midwest, howdy!

Just discovered this forum on my quest for great sharp knives. I sort of collect and sharpen straight razors as well.

I'm 22 years old and I've been a bit of a collector of kitchen knives since I purchased my first "real" knife wich was a 5'' Emeril Lagasse Wusthof when I was 14. I've worked in kitchens since I was 16 and have used mostly Forschner knives which I've kept sharp with my Naniwa stones.

Right now I'm using 3 knives which were all gifts. An 8" Global, a 7" Global Santoku, and an 8" Shun Ken Onion.

I realize that these knives aren't very well received on this forum, However I've learned that all of them can hold a respectable edge, and with minimal maintenance retain that edge. Thanks to my use of straight razors, I generally use a pasted paddle strop with either diamond paste, CrOx, or Cerium Oxide. However I'm seriously looking into expanding my knives with some nice carbon blades.

I have been dating a vegetarian for about 2 years now and mainly cook dishes that suit her taste. A couple times a week I'll roast a chicken or a duck or smoke some pork putt or brisket. It's been tough,yet, fun to alter my cooking style (protein focused) to a broader, veggie focused, style.

I hope to learn a lot from you guys and look forward to expanding my knife roll!

Back