stone for reprofiling or grind away at secondary bevel/thinning

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i've been using this (280grit side) for a while now and really like it for coarse sharpening.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004TKIW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

but it's now completely worn away. any recommendation for a fast cutting good feedback very coarse stone?
my other stones are bester 1200/rika 5k

use a wusthof combo stone (absolutely hate the black coarse side on that one, but the green side is an ok medium grit) + the white side of that josh roth stone (which i quite like) for cheap knives.

was thinking imanishi 400

i'd be happy if i could just get the gray 280 by itself in a bigger slab...

Last edited by a moderator:
I use sandpaper in the P120-320 range and a Chosera 400.
With carbon steel, thinning and reprofiling with a Chosera 800 is fine.

thought about chosera but thats a bit expensive as is an atoma. shapton could be a possibility.

deanb have you compared with other coarse stones at all? how is the feel during use?

Beston 500 or Gesshin 400 do most jobs nicely.

I use the Beston 500. For real heavy duty stuff I use my Atoma 140 but for thinning I use the Beston and it works well

+1 for sand paper. I use 220/320 grit taped to a big tile for coarse profiling or tip repair and the like. Cheap, and works great

Shapton Pro 220 is first choice...if not going fast enough, reach for the DMT XC

Norton Blaze on a belt grinder. Nothing compares for removing metal quickly. 10x faster than DMT XXC. Just watch where you're grinding.

imanishi 400
naniwa 400
beston 500
naniwa omura 150

those are the ones i'm considering, leaning toward the 150 as that thing seems like a brick and will last a while. i dont mind a little dishing, care more about how it feels (not a fan of shaptons)

what does anyone think of the ******** *** 320 for this?

anyone try out gesshin 400 yet? =D

Back