Bac- Ha Sunday Market Vietnam

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
Every Sunday, Bac Ha hosts the biggest fair near the mountainous highlands and the Chinese border. It is the largest and most colourful market in the area and attracts throngs of villagers from the surrounding hill tribes. Some walk several hours for the weekly opportunity to trade and barter food, animals, clothes and household goods.Many different ethnic groups such as Flower H'mong, Phu La, Black Dao, Tay and Nung minorities gather to buy and sell local products that cannot be found elsewhere.

nUJjql.jpg
[/IMG]

0DU3Yl.jpg
[/IMG]

Where the Blacksmith is very much alive in the culture.
anEGIl.jpg
[/IMG]

51vrAl.jpg
[/IMG]

The ladies shopping .
5fvaTl.jpg
[/IMG]

rr5TSl.jpg
[/IMG]

Some venders tables .
5bbnGl.jpg
[/IMG]

XGlqwl.jpg
[/IMG]

One place i would love to go.

Those rolled steel tube handles seem to be common all over Asia. I brought back several from a part of China just north of Vietnam a couple of years ago. These Viet versions will give me something to look for in March for sure.
Thanks!

Back from my own trip to Viet Nam. I was kind of surprised that Chinese style cleavers are not that common there. More common in the North around Hanoi than farther south. I think I brought home samples of about every knife in that last photo except those all steel handled (not the tube handle blades) in the lower left. Did see them though, not sure why I passed over those. If you are in Hanoi and want knives go to Nguyen Khuyen street. One knife shop after another for a couple of blocks.

I'd love to go to Vietnam. Great seeing from pics from you Steely! Thanks much man!

It kind of surprised me, that given the size of the country, how regional knife patterns were. As general rule meat cutters in Ho Chi Minh did not use the same styles at Hoi An and Hue, nor were the people in the markets of Hanoi using the styles of Hue or Ho Chi Minh.

Back