12” La Trompette 1878 thick

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagotnj

Reaction score
I have a bunch of old knives and I’d like to begin sharing pics of them, one knife per day. Here’s my very thick 12” Medaille Dor La Trompette 1878. The seller was selling it as an Unbranded old knife, so I lucked out when I received it and found the marking. Very heavy lobster splitter type of knife.

Attachments

• IMG_0593.jpeg
    IMG_0593.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0594.jpeg
    IMG_0594.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0595.jpeg
    IMG_0595.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
F me sideways. That’s quite something, how very nice!

I wonder how long it was originally, the profile certainly looks as though it’s been repaired at some point. And I presume the handle is newer too...(?)

F me sideways. That’s quite something, how very nice!

I wonder how long it was originally, the profile certainly looks as though it’s been repaired at some point. And I presume the handle is newer too...(?)
Thanks! Can’t say if it’s been profiled or not. I do have a larger 14” lobster splitter with similar dimensions, taper, and thickness. For this brand, most of the older examples from around 1890 are ebony nogents. Most of the newer examples from around 1940 are riveted ebony with a metal bolster. This one is neither, but appears all-original. The rivets are an older style from around 1940, so I’m leaning closer to that date.

Back