a kipp and Bidinger x2 walk into a bar

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
@Yoshi , @captaincaed , @PeterL - this is for you. didn't want to take up the Daily pics thread with this.

The punch line is that none of them walked out by themselves. They were kidnapped and smuggled out because unbeknownst to them it was a bar for knife nerds. Anyways.... as you can tell creative writing has never been my strong suit.

The knives:
Bidinger - CPM 154- triple fuller 225 x 60
Bidinger - A2 - Triple fuller 220x 60
Kippington - 52100 - Fish hook OG 220 x 49 compliments of @Homechef, again, thank you sir.

The TLDR: they are all good - amazing, you cannot go wrong in any case. Anyone "winning" is on very slim margins but the take away is: want more food release- I would lean towards the kipp. Want more balance between cutting and food release, Bidinger. All of them are VERY good - again, I want to emphasize that they are competing on slim margins.

Vids: I put names on the vids so view how you'd like to. Google Drive.

Disclaimer - I am a home chef so excuse any cutting faux pas. I have been in this a few years so I recognize I have a lot to learn so please take my thoughts with a grain of thought.

Fit and finish - Bidinger takes this but this is an OG fishhook so not the refined finish of his "new" stuff. I do have a workponey and the F&F of that is phenomenal. Both knives are extremely comfortable so the F&F on the kipp is not slouching by any means.

Handle - I am, admittedly, picky about handles *shrug*. I am head over heels for bidinger handles, I cannot lie. They are phenomenal and they just fit my hand so well. (I am a large in glove sizes for reference). Both my Kipps, though, are extremely comfortable so it's not like I do not also love them. In this case, I'd say they are both great and I like them both. If you put a gun to my head and made me pick one.... I'd have to say Bidinger but I wouldn't be happy about it.

Cutting- they are both phenomenal cutters with great food release. I'd have to give the Kipp a slight edge to food release and Bidinger a slight edge to smooth cutting (Cpm model > A2). I think the fish hook naturally will wedge a little more because of the design where you have that hook that slightly protrudes to give you the "bump" to drop the food off. I think Bidinger does an admirable job with food release but it doesn't have that little extra to push the food. You can see that I had a little trouble cutting the sweet potato in half length wise but I don't know if it was because was struggling a little because I was on camera and trying to get a good angle compromising my leverage. But, I will say that the bidinger had a much easier time. Once you do chop it in half I will say it cuts just fine and you will not feel any wedging the tip is pretty thin. I didn't capture this on video but I diced up some onions with absolutely no problem with the Kipp.

Please let me know if you have any questions or want different pics. happy to provide what I can to give back to the community.

Last edited:
Sorry was on my trip and finally had time to go through all the videos.

Thank you for your effort in doing this review.

Interesting to hear that the food release on the Bidinger isn't as good as the kipp. I wonder if the b grind will give the kipp a good run for the money. I messaged Bidinger before and he said the b grind does have slightly better food release at the expense of being a lighter knife.

Back